the girl before you has no idea, but the woman she slowly becomes with the same bushy hair, the same buck teeth, the same thirst for knowledge and a burning love and compassion for her friends- eventually stands as one of the driving forces behind the good guys, the heroes of the wizarding world.

without hermione, harry would never have made it. not even past the first book. not even past this academic year.

but with her here, and you as extra support- no one was going to die. no one but the death eaters.

like the one chatting away beside your father.

"i'll be going now-" you say, standing up and straightening your skirt.

you glance up and make eye contact with a taller ginger who grins down at you- you don't look at him long enough enough react. "i've never been hungrier."

"i'll eat after a couple pages more." hermione laughs, covering her mouth with her hand. you wished she wouldn't. "i'll see you around, y/n."

"see ya." you wave, stepping back to the slytherin table.

that went perfectly, dad.

he takes a few seconds to reply.

i can tell. you're grinning like an idiot.

language, professor. you reply, trying not to laugh.

sit down and eat, love. severus commands. you did good today.

you take a seat beside draco. you're surprised he saved a seat for you.

"what was all that?" draco interrogates you, as soon as you take a seat beside him.

"and here i was believing you saved me a seat to enjoy my company-" you sigh. he looks at you seriously, well, as serious as a bleach blonde, pale faced, eleven year old can look.

"fine." you shake your head. "if it intrigues you that much i'll have you know i was only returning a quill."

"oh." draco says, dissatisfied. he turns back to his plate and picks the right fork and the right knife to start chipping away at his steak.

"who-" you look down and see that food is already piled on your plate- steaming and ready for you.

"i did." serena smiles. "figured i should whilst you were off at gryffindor table."

"thank you." you smile, serena truly was incredibly considerate.

"wish you'd have plated something for me, shafiq." blasie smirks.

"not with a face like that, zabini." she snaps back, refusing to ignore her own food any longer.

as the nine of you, crabbe, goyle, parkinson, malfoy, zabini, greengrass, shafiq, nott and yourself dig in- lunch goes by smoothly.

you don't have a sixth lesson on a monday and so the you've got the rest of the evening off until dinner, where you are free to do what you like.

you can roam the castle or explore the grounds but you choose to go back to the common rooms. draco, crabbe and goyle decide they'll head off and do they're own thing- whilst blaise, theo and daphne decide to go off and talk to francis avery- the blonde third year boy with glasses who seemed rather annoyed by you and serena in the morning.

"and i was thinking- we should ask the boltons over-" pansy drawls, curling black hair around her pinky finger.

"for the winter ball-" theo finishes.

"the russians?" you hear francis ask. he towers above the first years. "they'd not be able to talk to us-"

"they know english!" blaise tuts.

you tune them out and look back at the gryffindors and see the same ginger who smirked at you staring again.

wait- there's two of them.

of course, that was them.

"serena." you call, and she looks up from her wrist watch. "look at those boys."

"the weasley twins." she sighs. "handsome lads and staring right at you."

"you." you correct her and she shakes her head adamantly.

"i'm just a regular old pureblooded slytherin- you, are snape's daughter. i reckon they want a word."

her greenish eyes flicker with a glimmer of mischief and you look back at the boys. one of them, waves you over.

oh merlin, serena's predicted the future.

that was your job.

"bingo."