Chapter 8: The Science Project (part 2)

Start from the beginning

  Ford sighed and as he pulled his attention away from the pamphlet to look at his brother.  "Look, Stan.  Y/N and I have talked and we can't pass up a chance like this."  I saw Stan's expression turn into a scowl.  Uh oh.  "This school has cutting-edge programs and multidimensional paradigm theory!"  Ford continued.

  I piped up.  "Stanley, you have to understand that if we miss this opportunity... Ford and I will be missing a huge part of our lives.  We could have careers in something we are passionate about.  Hell, they even have programs on architecture.  I could design monuments and historical landmarks!"  I said almost pleadingly, hoping he'd see some sense in what I was saying.

  It didn't seem to work.  "Beep boop.  We are nerd robots."  He said in a robot voice before speaking normally again.  "That's you two.  That's what you sound like."

  Ford chuckled.  "Ah, well.  If the college board isn't impressed with our experiment tomorrow, then okay.  We'll do the treasure hunting thing."  Stan looked at me, as if wanting confirmation.  I nodded and smiled.

  He turned his attention back to Ford.  "And if they are?" 

  "Well, I guess you better come visit us on the other side of the country!"  He laughed as he punched Stan's arm playfully.  Ford then helped me up.  "Would you like me to take you home?" 

  I hesitated as I looked at Stanley, who didn't seem to be paying attention but rather lost in his thoughts.  "What about Stanley?"  I said softly and with concern.

  Ford gently squeezed my shoulder.  "Let's just give him some time to come to terms.  There's something I was wanting to talk to you about anyway." 

  "...Alright."  We walked away, leaving Stan by himself.  I couldn't help but feel guilty. 

  "So."  Stanford started as we were walking along the pavement.  "I was thinking... we've gotten a lot closer since we started the project, haven't we?" 

  Uh oh.  "We have..."  I looked at him and gave him a gentle smile. 

  Ford seemed to get flustered.  "Well I was wondering if you'd.... I mean we... um..."

  I put my hand on his arm.  "Fordsie.  You don't need to talk about it now.  We can talk about whatever it is after we do our presentation, alright?"  Now is definitely not the time.  It could make things worse.

  He relaxed.  "Yeah.  That sounds good."  We stopped at my door.  "Goodnight Y/N."  He gave me a quick hug.  "I'll see you tomorrow."

  "Goodnight Fordsie."

Stan's POV

  I found myself wandering around the school, feeling completely lost in the familiar halls.  If they go off to college, I'll have no one.  Just a third of a dynamic trio.  I started munching on my toffee peanuts.  What's even worse is that they could end up together.  And I won't be able to do anything about it.  I'll lose both of them forever.

  I found myself in front of their project.  Anger built up in me and I threw my peanuts on the ground.  "This is YOUR fault, you dumb machine!"  I slammed my fist on the table.  The machine started smoking and the small vent plate fell off. 

  "Oh no.  Oh no no.  What did I do?!"  I panicked.  I quickly picked up the vent plate and screwed the bolts in as best as I could.  "There.  Alright.  Good as new!  Probably."  I tried to reassure myself as I threw the sheet on the floor over the project and rushed back home. 

  When I got inside my room, I shut the door a little too hard and pressed my back against it.  I stiffened as I heard Stanford yawn and sit up from his bed.  "Stan?  Where were you?"  He said groggily and he squinted, trying to make out my form without his glasses in the dark. 

  "Was just walking around.  Go back to sleep, Poindexter."  I said dismissively as I stripped down to my boxers and got into bed.  Hopefully everything turns out okay.

A/N:

Heyo!  Sorry this chapter was a bit longer than the others, but it would've felt weird to cut it off at any other point. As always, would love to have some feedback or suggestions about things to do in the story!  I'll get started on the next chapter right away so expect that to come out soon.

-Rynn