The females were dressed differently than any Agama Alex had ever seen before. Their hide was mostly uncovered, stippled with light metallic paint, silver chains wrapped around their necks, waists, and hips. They wore body perfume more than any Alex had smelled before. They moved about the males, touching them, kissing them, feeding them tidbits of food. Alex figured they were the prostitutes that Drake procured for the party.

Alex took an offered cup, heavy silver, engraved with whorls and loops, the only decoration on it. It smelled of a sweet cocktail of wine, honey, and something dangerous, so she only pretended to drink from it.

Rile put his arm around her, so she didn't feel completely lost, but he soon fell into a drunken sleep. Alex hoped no one noticed and planned to slip away with him, until she saw Drake's glittering eyes.

Before she could bolt with Rile, Drake's hand came down heavily on her shoulder. Other hands quickly joined his on her body; rough, callused and strong hands, the claws only indenting her skin but promising more if she resisted.

"Let's see what Rile was bragging about," Drake said, voice full of ominous curiosity. His hand brushed up her spine and his thumb pushed between her shoulder blades.

"You drunken fool, take your hands off her before I cut it off."

  Alex looked with relief at her two new saviors and all the hands fell off Alex.

"No one invited the righteous Gabe and his loyal lackey Cale," Drake hissed.

Cale moved to Rile and looped his brother's arm over his neck. Alex followed suit on the other side.

Gabe might need his hands free for his sword and I'll still have a hand free to blast.

"We are leaving." Gabe locked eyes with Drake.

The drunken revelers transformed in Alex's eyes to a vicious mob.

Fine. I can blast a mob. Sort of. Gabe and Cale will take care of the ones I miss.

"Go on, Clan Heir of Nothing, for all the good it will do you."

Alex hated turning her back on them, but if Gabe and Cale could do it, so would she. She could hear the light whoosh of the fire and the crunch of the wood and the scrape of her shoes on the ground, but not of anyone following them.

"Now will you talk to Rile?" Gabe asked as they walked off.

"I'll think about it."

"Think hard."

**

Rile's brain registered the pleasant sensation of a tingling massage before he awoke fully. Alex's hands were like warm silk ferns, and he had the same sensation of heat that he had after they made neuro-electric love. He sometimes slept like that, with her fingers tracing his wings, and with his head in her lap.

"Good morning." Alex's voice was soft.

"What happened?" Rile didn't open his eyes. The soft golden hues of his reddish-gold hide glowed under her power.

"What do you remember?"

Rile chuckled softly. "The usual Drake party: lots of alcohol and females."

"Did you enjoy the prostitutes?" Alex asked, voice still soft.

"I never pay for what I can get for free," Rile said, eyes still closed.

"Did you have free sex with the Agama females?"

"Nah, it pales in comparison with you."

"I would have preferred a 'no' on moral grounds or because you loved me, but that will have to do."