17.[Where He Finds Himself Loving On Her Until The Connection Is Restored]

Start from the beginning

“I think she’s stressed out. Her hair looked like it wasn’t combed in days.”

I sighed, pulling a hand down my face. “I know she been real ad bout her Jobs.”

“Hit her hard?” She asked.

“Yeh’, you know how she be already. She just be worrying for nuttn’.” I shrugged. “Ima fuck the dude that got her fired up. He don’t know me.”

“Stop cursing in my house!” She smacked me with the towel in her hand.

“Sorry, I just want to beat his ass again.”

She sighed. “I know you love Phoebe, but you have to think about your career and your endorsements. You can’t just be going around beating people up.”

“Why not, he hit Phoebe.” I snapped.

She looked shocked. “He hit her?”

“I think Kaitlyn was tryna’ tell me that she saw a man choke Phoebe, and I know it was him.  I should snap his bulky lookin’ ass in two. Touching Phoebe.”

“Well why didn’t she say anything?”

“ ‘Cause Mama, that’s how Phoebe is. She think she tough, when she know se ain’t. She gonna keep all the secrets inside and then wanna take it out in our relationship and that’s whea’ I stay getting’ mad at her for. I know she lying to me.”

“Maybe she’s just looking out for you son, she seems like the type to protect other before herself.” She suggested.

“Ion care Mama. Phoebe gotta stop alla this lying and hiding shit.” I grabbed the flowers off of the table I had brought for her.

“Well when you go to see her, be nice. She’s too soft, you want to show her that you understand. Don’t scream at her.”

“Don’t do what?” I scoffed. “ I can’t make any promises. Imma see you Ma’.” I leaned over and pecked her forehead.

“Be gentle with her August.”

“Yeh’, Yeh’.”

[Phoebe—At her Apartment]

It was getting late, probably minutes to ten now and I was here sitting in front of the mirror, wiping the makeup from around my eye. I still wasn’t answering August’s calls, I just didn’t want to have to explain what happened to him over the phone.

“We are living….Single. Yes, we’re living the Single life.” Buzzed from the television in my bedroom. For some reason when I was feeling sad, I would watch Re-runs of Living Single and the Parkers and even Moesha.