Chapter 28- Darkness

Ellie's POV:

"Did he just say I should go?" I ask disbelievingly.

I can't go! He just kissed me! And I did not want that! There's too much drama between the two of us! And I feel funny anyway. I think I must have eaten some bad sushi or something.

"Tim? Can you please go in my place?"

"I can't. I would if I could, but Gibbs told you to go. You can't defy a direct order."

"But McGee-!"

"Ellie, just get it over with."

How can he say it like that? Like it's just a chore and not a life or death situation! He knows what I went through!

"Come on, Ellie!" Jake calls out.

I look to McGee and am surprised to see two of him. Blinking rapidly, one disappears and I take a step forward. Giving Tim the best stink eye I can
muster, I follow Jake into the elevator.

"It's been a while." Malloy says once the doors are closed.

"Yep."

"I broke up with Taylor."

"Mm."

"She cheated on me."

I snort and he looks hurt.

"It's not funny."

"No, no of course not... it's hilariously ironic."

Jake sighs annoyed. "My point is, I'm not seeing anyone. I'm single."

Is he trying to do what I think he's trying to do?

"Good for you." I respond shortly and he sighs again.

"I was hoping for a 'me too' or something? Are you single?"

"No."

"You're not?" He exclaims, shocked.

"No. Believe it or not there is someone in this world who actually loves and appreciates me."

"2 people."

He's actually doing it. This is stupid.

"Would you shut up?? I'm not interested." I snap.

"You used to be."

I really wish I had the stability and strength to punch him in the mouth.

"Used. To."

When the doors slide open, we head to the parking lot. About a hundred feet from the car, he speaks.

"You're right. I'm sorry. Is it that Latino guy? The one who almost killed me for kissing you?"

"That's my boyfriend." I say happily, proud he can recognize Nick as my lover simply by one interaction. I want Nick here now, for many reasons. Jake is making me uneasy, and I don't feel good. I wonder if Nick and I both have the flu or something.

"I'll drive." He says. Normally I would argue with him, saying I'm his superior so I choose, but I think I would be a threat to everyone on the road if I were behind the wheel.

I fall into the passenger seat and Jake starts the car.

"To Melinda Dooley, right?"

"Yep." I mumble, my head pounding.

We pull out and begin heading out of D.C.

"Does she live in Maryland?" I ask quietly, my vision blurring again.

"Uhh, sure."

"Sure?" I repeat, trying to sit forward.

"Don't worry about it Ellie. It's not going to make a difference to you where we're going."

Fighting to keep my eyes open, I fumble for my phone in my pocket. It shakes in my hand, and I realize my entire body is trembling.

Suddenly Jake grabs the phone out of my hand and tosses it out the window along with his.

"Wh-what did you do to me?" I whisper, feeling like my limbs are about to fall off and my head is going to explode.

The last thing I see is Jake's smiling face turning from the road to me, and he pats my arm. Then, the world loses its color, it's light, it's emotion, and everything slips into darkness.