1. Prank Wars

"How much longer do we have to wait?" Mia's impatience floats out in a whisper while we're sitting on the couch pretending to watch TV

"How much longer do we have to wait?" Mia's impatience floats out in a whisper while we're sitting on the couch pretending to watch TV. Amber left the room to get ready for bed about five minutes ago, so it's gotta be happening soon.

"Shouldn't be long now," I tell Mia. "Just try to relax and wait for it. It'll be worth it."

The minutes pass slower when you're six years old and I feel for her. But then, she also needs to learn patience, especially when it comes to mischief.

Her voice stays low when she speaks up again, "You think she's gonna be mad?"

"Not as mad as we were when she made us try those dog food muffins she made."

Mia nods. "True. She's had this coming."

"She really has."

Maybe I should explain.

Amber, Mia, and I have been locked up in a game of prank wars for about a week now and it's gotten pretty intense. It all started when Amber served us frozen bowls of cereal last Monday.

That's right, frozen cereal.

It looked just like the real thing. Sugary Frosted Flakes, the perfect amount of milk, and a spoon already in the bowl.

She put Mia's prepared cereal in front of her, the same way she does on any other morning when we're a little rushed and don't have time to let Mia practice her pouring skills. That learning experience is never worth the spilled milk seeping into the floor when you're already late. We figured that out the hard way.

But then she put a bowl in front of me, too. And while serving a grown man a bowl of cereal should have tipped me off right away, I brushed it off. I was too taken by her sweetness, the way I always am. The fact that it was cereal, something I'm perfectly capable of making myself, may have been a little off but the act of kindness was just Amber. Her sweet and giving heart led me astray. I was tricked.

Mia and I reached for our spoons, only to have our entire bowls come up when we went to take a bite. And after registering the frigid temperature of the spoons, combined with the fact that there was no mess whatsoever when the bowls lifted from the table, we realized we'd been bamboozled.

Mia and I rallied and the rest is history.

The last few days have been a blur of fake snakes, toilet paper shenanigans, balloons full of jello, confetti bombs, and about every other messy, stupid prank we could muster up in our back and forth game.

It was all good fun. That is, until Amber made chocolate muffins yesterday with a scoop of special ingredients in the form of Stella's dog food.

A line was drawn.

When the faint sound of running water hits our ears, Mia and I turn our heads eagerly in the direction of the hallway. A tiny snort laugh comes out of her mouth and her laugh makes me laugh. She's been so excited about this one. We both are. However, as the seconds pass slowly and bring us closer to the big moment, I can't deny being a little afraid. Amber's not going to be happy.