I was walking to my best friend Seth's house which was only a block or so away because he had borrowed my car and didn't have time to bring it back. Right as I got to Seth's house my phone started ringing. I looked at the contact name. "Esther" It read.

I smiled and picked up the phone. "Need my help now?" I asked.

She told me everyone else was busy and she needed me to come get her.

"I'll be there in a few minutes." I told her. I could've gotten to her in less than a minute but I wanted to get her a few things first.

I went to the little grocery store uptown and got an ice pack and some pain medicine. Then I went back to the library and carried her to my car. I gave her the ice pack and painkillers and she seemed shocked. After she took them she thanked me and we started talking as I drove around town. I knew exactly where she lived but I wanted to talk to her for a little while before I took her home. "So what were you doing at the library while it's closed?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"I was just reading." Liar. "That's where I like to go when I'm sick of being at home." She continued.

"Ah, okay." I said. "So, may I ask why you were crying?"

"What?" Apparently she forgot she was wearing mascara and I could see where it ran down her face. Plus the fact that I saw her crying before she twisted her ankle.

"You have mascara tears down your face, darling. Why were you crying?" I asked again.

She quickly looked in the mirror and started rubbing off the mascara. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it." She said, wiping off the last of it.

"Mae," I said, I saw her look at me as I continued. "don't lie."

"I'm not lying." She tried to convince me.

"And I'm a famous rockstar." I deadpanned. "Now that we've both got the lying out of our systems, tell me."

She sighed. "I'm just not having the best day, okay? That's all."

God dammit, I just want to kiss her and make her feel better.

"Why not?" I asked. "What went wrong?"

"Nothing, but at the same time, everything. It's just one of those days I guess." She finally told me.

I nodded. Something in me was telling me to kiss her but, as much as I wanted to, I knew it was way too early.

I decided to take her home before I had another urge to kiss her. When I pulled into her driveway Esther was already taking off her seat belt like she was going to walk herself inside. "Don't move." I told her as I got out and walked around to her side of the car. I opened her door and picked her up, taking her inside. When we got inside I laid her down on the couch and asked if she needed anything.

"I'll take it from here, Ashton." I spun around, not realizing her older sister, Josie, was home.

"Darling, I thought you said everyone else was busy." I said as I turned back to Esther. Did she just want to spend time with me? It wouldn't make sense though, she'd never shown interest in me before.

"She told me she was at work." Esther replied, glaring at Josie.

"Don't give me that look, Es. I was at work when you called. They ended up letting me off early though. I was about to call you back." Josie confessed.

"Seriously?" Esther sounded annoyed.

"Yeah, sorry sis" Josie said.

"Do you need anything before I go, Mae?" I asked, turning back towards her.

"No, I'm good. Thank you." She gave me a soft smile before looking back at her sister.

"No problem. Text me if you need anything." I told her as I left.

I drove to my office, hoping Seth would be there. I always tell him about Esther even though he doesn't give a fuck. I have to talk to someone about her otherwise I'll go crazy.

As I got in the building I checked the kitchen first, knowing that was where they all normally hung out although as I walked in I found no one there. Confused, I left the kitchen and checked the meeting room, finding my whole crew seemingly in the middle of a meeting.

"What is going on here?" I asked.

"Oh, hey boss." Kyle turned around.

"We were just planning what our roles were going to be tonight." Parker informed me. "Unless you already have a plan." He added.

I groaned. I forgot we had to go break a fucker's door down tonight because the police found child porn on his computer. Yet the police can't go get him by themselves for god knows what reason. So now I have to take my guys and go get him. Ah the joys of being part of the FBI. I was looking forward to spending the rest of the day talking to Seth about Esther but now that's out the window.

"Did you forget about it?" Seth laughed as he heard me groan.

"No." I lied. "Give me the picture of the floor plan and I'll figure out the plan." I demanded as I walked to my office. There was no way I'm going with whatever plan they came up with. Half of them are dumbasses anyway.

I walked into my office and sat down at my desk, looking up when I heard the office door open. Seth walked to my desk and gave me the floor plan. "You forgot about tonight didn't you?" He asked as he stepped back.

"Shut up." I told him as he laughed.

"What were you doing that took all your focus away from this?" Seth questioned me.

"I was helping Esther. Now, get out while I figure out this plan."

"Ah, the love interest. How is she? I haven't seen her in a while."

"Get out." I told him again. He chuckled as he walked out. I needed to figure out this plan and get Esther out of my head. Like that's ever going to happen.

------------------------------------

Author notes:

This is my first time uploading anything on wattpad so if anything is done wrong, that's why. Sorry about that.

I uploaded a scene of this book on tiktok and a bunch of people wanted me to make a wattpad book so here it is. I have a lot of ideas for this book and I'm so excited for y'all to see it all come together.

P.S. I know this first chapter sucks but bare with me I promise it does get better.

[Edited 3/14/22]

xoxo ~ Alex