"I'm scared.." the girl's whisper was barely heardable, with terror in her eyes. A few blonde locks fell on her face as she breathed frantically with anxiety.

"Maddie." a woman in her forties cupped the girl's face with her hands, looking deep into her eyes. "You must promise me that you will do whatever they ask. Don't try to rebel or they will kill you." she said, wiping a tear on her daughter's cheek with a thumb, nodding slowly. Almost wanting to engrave those words in the girl's memory.

"But mom.. H-how can I? What do you-what do you mean?" he couldn't stop stammering between sobs of crying.

"Do as I told you. Promise me." the woman continued to plead her.

"Ssh." the man in front of them turned to the two women, silencing them. "They're close, I can hear them." he said, loading his rifle as the sound of helicopters grew louder and closer. "Janet take the gun. Enough of all this fuss. She has to grow up at some point."

"David! This is probably the last time we'll see our daughter and you behave like this ?!" the woman protested, but she knew that the moment of fuss was over.
"Honey, now go into the hideout. We'll take care of it here." she said, taking two guns from the holsters on the sides of her legs.

"But mom-"

"Just go!" her father yelled.

They knew they were screwed up and that a rifile and two guns wouldn't make any difference, but they would protect their Maddie at all costs. Or at least they would try.

The girl had just the time to close the hatch behind her, when she heard the door on the upper floor being abruptly open. Then a shooting. Screams, in which she was able to distinguish those of her parents from those, perhaps in Russian, of the attackers. Madison covered her ears to protect herself from the sound of gunfire. She wanted to scream with all her might. Only a door separating her from her parents, who were sacrificing themselves for her.

When she removed the hands from her ears, all she could hear was silence. Piercing and deafening silence.
Silence that was abruptly interrupted by the door above her head being literally ripped off.
She winced when she looked up and saw a group of agents -with helmets and black tactical suits, armed wll the way up to their necks- appeared through the hatch. She couldn't escape. That trap door would be her grave.

"Это она. Девушка. Возьми ее. (It's her. The girl. Take her.)" ordered one of the agents.

"What? No! No!" Maddie protested as some agents grabbed her, dragging her out of the hatch.

The sight that presented itself in front of her left her speechless. Her mother and father. Her parents had fought till the end to protect her. Tears began to mark her face again. They had never been the perfect family. Always hiding or running away, and she was often kept out of it to protect her. The spy life was not a good environment to raise a daughter. But this time it was inevitable.

Maddie didn't felt angry at them for not doing more. On the contrary, she was grateful for everything they taught her, for how they raised her, and for how hard they  tried to protect her till the end.

"No! Wait!" she screamed, wriggling desperately as they dragged her to the exit of the room. She managed to free herself from the soldiers' firm grips and ran back towards the lifeless bodies of her parents, kneeling beside them.
"I'll never forget you. I'll never forget everything you taught me. I love you." she whispered, running her hands desperately over those two bullet-torn bodies, soaking herself with their blood.

Because in the end she was the cause of their death.
That blood will stain her hands forever.

In the urgency of those movements, as she tried to feel her parents for the last time, her hands grabbed her mother's badge. She swiped her thumb on the symbol of the eagle, immediately hiding it in the back pocket of her jeans.
As if it was the most precious diamond in the world and she was so jealous of it.