Chapter six

I went back to my teacher's classroom the next day to ask her about the results, if any one of them has passed it.

She shook her head no.

"What?" I asked, "not even one?"

"No," she said. "You passed it though."

"Of course I have," I said before I left her classroom. I don't know why I acted that mean, but I guess I am really disappointed.

"I told you," Calla said. "Wonder Asher is the answer."

"No," I said. "And stop calling him Wonder."

She looked at me with a quizzed look. "That's his name..."

"Yeah, well. It's mine too, just call him Asher, everyone does. What's the big deal?"

"Whatever," she shook her head. "I am going to class, but think about it."

I turned to face my opened locker and pulled out my English textbook before I placed my math textbook inside.

I closed my locker. "God damn it!" I said as I placed my hand on my chest, startled by the sudden appearance of Asher. He gave me a side smile, amused for absolutely no reason. "What's so amusing?" I rolled my eyes.

I thought I heard him say, "Well, you are quite amusing." but his mouth did not move.

"Did you say something?" I asked, he turned to face me without saying a word. "Are you a Ventriloquism or something?"

"What?" Finally, a word out of him.

"You know, the art of talking with the tongue and not moving the mouth or face."

He stared at me. "Idiot."

"You are doing it again!" I said, frustrated. "Stop calling me an idiot!"

"I did not say it," he said. "I thought it, nevertheless."

"Well I heard you."

He shook his head as a sign of defeat and lowered his gaze down to the book he pulled out of his locker, opened to the page with a tissue for a bookmark and walked away.

And he reads. Great.

"Hey!" I called as I walked towards him. "We are not done talking."

He stopped, turned slowly to face me in silence.

"Ugh!" I hated that I showed him how annoyed I was with him, but I just can't be calm. He is that annoying.

He gave me another one of his sideway-amused smiles. I couldn't take it anymore, I lifted my arm in the air then let it rest in my side before I walked away from him this time.

"Moron." I said under my breath.

"I heard you," he said. I stopped in my tracks confused about how he heard.

But I did not care, so I turned to face him as I walked backwards and said. "I am glad you did, because you are a moron." Then turned back around and continued my walk to my English class.

"Hey," I leaned in and whispered to a girls sitting on the seat next to mine in class. "Are you good at math?"

"Um-" she looked at me unsure, "I guess?"

"Good enough," I nodded. "Would you like to tryout for the mathematics team?"

"Not really." She said, I rolled my eyes.

"Wonder," my English teacher called. "Quite."

"Sure, sorry."

After class, I sat on the edge of the staircase with Calla since I was too lazy to leave school for break, I am not hungry anyway so...

"So, no mathematics?" She asked.

"No mathematics."

"Who said so?" I heard a voice now I am familiar with by the only two words he has spoken, I looked up to Asher, the guy who towards over us.

"Excuse me?"

"I couldn't help but over hear you saying the mathematics are canceled?" He said, I stared at him and listened to his words as if he is an alien and will never speak again. "The teacher just told me I am in."

I got up like a flash, but he was still taller than me. "Wait, what? You are joining?" I asked.

"Yes," he simply answered.

"But-"

"What?" He asked, "Don't you want me to join?"

"No," Calla spoke before I could, she got up and placed a hand around me. "That's not what she meant, she is glad that you decide to join because-"

"I am?" I asked, she gave me the look.

"Because otherwise she wouldn't have been able to join since there must be two participants from the same school." She continued, he nodded and left without another word.

"What the hell Calla?" I snapped at her, "now he thinks I need him!"

"Well, you do."

"No I don't!"

"Yes you do," she said. "How else would you join the mathematics without a partner?"

"I can find another one."

"Wonder, babe. You see, you will need someone to be your partner. Whether it's him or someone else. So suck it up and accept that he is the best outcome you can get."

I rolled my eyes.