CHAPTER 28 ━━━

# ! | CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
- he gets a good view and a
christmas miracle

━━━ IT'S JUST PAST EIGHT A.M
when Spencer wakes up, supremely happy and well rested despite only getting about three hours of sleep. His stomach tightens at the memory of early this morning, every little detail rolled up for his viewing pleasure. He opens his eyes and finds himself alone in bed, much to his dismay.

Figuring Meryl had maybe gone to the barn or something, he checks his phone. Baaad idea.

Morgan
Where you at???
Pretty boy??
Oooooh you ain't in your room
Hahaaaa doctor reid gettin' some! atta boy
Read 8:09 a.m

Reid
You are appalling, I stayed over at Meryl's because we stayed out at the hot spring late. And if I had "gotten some", I wouldn't be flaunting it like she's a piece of meat.
Read 8:11 a.m

Morgan
Get your little ass down here at some point, man. I'm about to be your girl's uncle
Read 8:11 a.m

Morgan sends a picture of Fran and Ren sitting conspicuously close together but Reid is otherwise absorbed. My girl, he thinks, I like that.

Not bothering with a shirt, Spencer follows the sound of the Beatles into the basement and to the left. There's Meryl, hair piled into a high bun, back muscles flexing as she does pull ups. She's in what she slept in with the addition of white sweatpants that cling low on her hips so the waistband of her underwear is visible. Now that her hair is out of the way, Spencer can see a large, elaborate snake tattoo curling between her shoulder blades. Meryl clenches her jaw and cranks out five more reps before letting her feet hit the ground.

"Morning, doll," she greets without turning around, voice a little raspy from time without use. There's something so masculine about her then, and Spencer absolutely digs it.

"Good morning," he replies, earning one of her megawatt smiles as she turns around, "How long have you been up?"

Meryl takes in this version of Spencer, hair a mess and voice soft, his skin glowing. She shrugs. "Forty five minutes, maybe. I had to work out, didn't do that the last couple days."

Reid's gaze drops to her butt as she walks by. Yeah, like she needed to work out. Meryl walks up the stairs backwards and gestures at him with her water bottle. "You look so good, by the way. I'd climb you like a tree right now but I'm very sweaty and sticky and not in a fun way. You might wanna shower too, unless you don't mind people noticing you smell like me."

Before Reid can reply, she's gone. He blows out a breathy laugh and then finds other soap smells in the basement bathroom, grabbing a quick shower. He dresses in black straight legged jeans and a black t-shirt, high tops, and grey cable knit sweater.

Meryl emerges with her hair in two braids down her back in a form fitting but modest black dress with stockings and heeled boots, a chunky sweater on her arm. She wears winged eyeliner and maroon lipstick, her typical class reinstated. "Do I look okay? I mean, do I- hmm. Maybe I should take off the lipstick. Is it too much?"

Spencer raises his brows. "Why are you suddenly freaking out over what to wear?"

The doorbell rings and Meryl shrugs. "You should get that."

Still suspicious, he does as she asks. The big oak door swings open to reveal Diana Reid next to Garcia, both of whom wear knit hats and smiles.