CAUGHT

No, I won't smile but I'll show you my teeth
I'll let you speak if you just let me breathe.

"Kang Areum." Areum slowly opened her eyes but squinted it shut at the bright light falling straight on her eyes. She realised she was kneeling down, her hands were tied to her back and someone was holding her hand to keep her steady. She opened her eyes slowly this time while adjusting to the light. She noticed some liquid flowing down her forehead. She assumed its her blood after getting struck in head.

"Who was the man you were talking to?" She looked up to see the front man. He directly came to the point but She didn't reply anything. The front man exhaled and said, "Let me remind you why you are here." Areum was weak so she didn't even speak anything and listened as he reminded her the story she didn't want to hear.

Flashback

Areum walked back to her home after winning the game after 2 weeks. It's been the longest she has stayed without her mother after her cancer. She knocked at the door but no one opened or replied anything. After a few minutes of doing the same she started getting worried. She pushed the door multiple times and finally broke the lock of the door. She ran inside and felt relief wash over her when she saw her mother in her bed, but her father was no where to be found.

"Mom..." She softly said. Her mom turned around and she looked like she was a zombie. Areum gasped at the sight and hugged her mother but she lightly moaned because of the right hug. Areum asked her mother about her wellbeing for the past 2 weeks and got to know that her father hasn't come back home for a week now and that her mother was barely eating anything. She almost cried but her mom asked her about her where abouts. "I was out playing a game, they even paid me for playing it! I earned a lot of money in those two weeks." Her mom smiled and Areum took out the bag of money. "See!" Areum excitedly showed off her prize money while her mother gasped at the reveal.

"Where did you get this dear!" She whisper-shouted as if Areum did something bad. "Told ya, I played a game and they paid me for it." Areum explained. "That's... Too muh money for playing a game!" Her mother wasn't convinced anyway. "Mom! I played life-threatening games for this. For you! For your treatment!" Areum explained more but her mom wasn't ready to listen to any of her explanation. But before she could say anything her mother collapsed to the floor. She panicked but quickly dialled to the hospital.

"Your mother is safe for now but there is a bad news too..." The doctor explained to Areum while looking over to the room Areum's mom was resting at. Areum sighed already and asked, "What is it..?" The doctor took out some papers from the file and showed it to her. "Looks like she didn't take her medications correctly which is bad for her because now her cancer of stage 2 has increased to stage 3. 3C. And as you were informed before, it's quite impossible to survive this stage... Unless we do some aggressive treatment but it will require a lot of money..." "Don't worry about money, can't you start the treatment now?" Areum asked impatiently. "Yeah ofcourse we can, but let me tell you that the chances of survival here is very low. And there is a lot of chance that the cancer can grow back after the Operation." This made Areum mute. She thought about some time and then looked over to her mom. She looked at the doctor again and said, "You will do the operation."

End

"Don't you want to go back to your mother? Why did you even come back to this place? What about your father?" Front man loaded her with questions that Areum can barely answer. She was getting her trauma back.

"Now tell me who was the guy you were talking to?" Front man held her by her chin and asked her. She looked intently through his eyes, not breaking the eye contact and said, "Your brother. Now that I see, you both have similar eyes!" Her suddenly answering the question and talking normally made front man wonder what she was up to. He was even shocked by the new information of his brother searching for her.

He took of his mask and ran an aggressive hand through his hair. He held Areum's chin tightly again. "My brother?! When did you meet him?!" She smirked and before anything could have been processed, she stood up and kicked the soldier behind her and took the gun out of his hands and pointed it to front man. The frontman now figured out that by talking with him she distracted him while she opened her cuffs secretly and he didn't even have a gun on him. "Don't you dare move a muscle!" She warned.

A few more soldiers entered and held their gun to her. She turned to them and before they could do anything, she shot them with some bullets, purposely shooting their legs. Before anyone could catch her she ran out of the room and to the set of colorful rooms. She knew cameras were everywhere so she tried running away first. A thought of running away and saving Jun-Ho did come to her mind but she couldn't care less, she had to save herself first.

Soon and few more soldiers started popping out of nowhere and chased her. They might be low level soldiers because they didn't have a gun on them and beside she has heard the front man commanding them to bring her alive so she can take some time since they aren't gonna use their gun anyway. One of them held her by her wrist pulling her back. She twisted their hands and turned back, kicking the other soldier who came running towards her. Then another one came and pulled her by her legs as she fell with a loud thump. She looked back and saw the soldier was trying to cuff her legs so she just kicked his face through the mask and took the gun. A few soldiers came running towards her and she shot one in the leg but unfortunately the bullets ended there only. As the soldier came closer, she raised her gun and smacked his face and he fell down and probably blacked out from the hard stroke. She finally found the exit but just as she was opening the lock of it someone shot her arms as she fell to the ground while holding her arms tightly.

"Don't run away like that, we have some more to talk about."

__________________________________

So I revealed a bit of her life. Bigger plot twists are on their way too. As I said the wait will be worth it! Till then hope you enjoyed this one!

-Author 😁