Chapter-5 Completed Assignments

"Carson Convention Hall, please," Janelle instructed the driver as she jumped into the taxi and grimaced at the time she had. The car sped off.

Her second assignment, the one from Phoenix, required her to attend a fashion show by Jovani for their winter collection, at the Carson Convention Hall. Her interview with Sasha Nikolina had taken longer than expected, leaving her with half an hour less to get to her second destination.

Thirty minutes later, the car had pulled up in front of a grand convention hall and Janelle hurriedly rushed out after hastily shoving money at the driver. She caught sight of a familiar face at the entrance and rushed towards him in relief.

"Miss Pearson, you made it, congratulations," Enrique Velasquez remarked with a smirk as Janelle tried to catch her breath.

"The fashion show begins in a minute," he continued, adjusting his tie.

"Follow me, and remember to take notes on every piece that's unveiled." Like with Danielle, Janelle had to work with Anushka Ray's secretary on this assignment and write an article on the exclusive Jovani Winter Collection for the magazine.

They walked into the hall where several journalists had gathered already, and took a seat amid the excited murmurs around them.
Enrique handed a brochure of the winter collection to Janelle, who immediately made a sketch of a few pieces in her notepad.

The spotlights finally came on, and a silence engulfed the hall. The fashion show had begun.

******

The flashing cameras and bright spotlight dazzled the eye as models strutted down the catwalk. Jovani's winter collections had always been Janelle's favourite seasonal collection and she noted how the style had evolved from the previous year.

"That's the Scuba Jumpsuit," she whispered, consulting her brochure as a model walked down the ramp in a black and white piece.

Enrique nodded. "Look out for the Contemporary Romper. Miss Ray has a particular interest in that one."

Half an hour later, three more evening dresses, a classic bell sleeve lace dress and the coveted Jovani Contemporary Romper had been unveiled. The cameras flashed incessantly as the models gathered on the catwalk one last time to display the complete collection. Enrique took a few pictures while Janelle made a short note on each piece.

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen," a woman in a white business suit spoke up as she walked onto the catwalk, a microphone in hand.

"The Jovani Winter Collection goes on sale in a week. We thank you for your esteemed presence at our show today."

******

Janelle put away her notepad as they walked out of the Convention Hall, and Enrique made a quick phone call to his boss.

"Right," he muttered as the call ended and walked upto Janelle.

"Miss Ray wants us at the office to see what we've got," he informed, waving to car nearby. The driver pulled up in front of them in a sleek blue Mercedes.

"Once she's approved your content, I'll show you how to compile your data into an article," he added briskly, gesturing for Janelle to get into the vehicle.

"That'll be cool," she muttered, having heard of the famous efficiency of Ray's secretary.

"You've worked at Phoenix for a pretty long time," she tried to sound polite, but it was difficult with someone who exuberated a certain self confidence that was bordering on egotism.

"It would be great to learn from you."

"Of course it would."