Chapter-2 The Immortal Bird

"That's three top fashion brands I see every five minutes," Janelle muttered to herself as she stood outside the enormous building with blue-tinted glass windows, glancing at the people bustling in and out in a constant swirl of motion.

"PHOENIX. Rise from the ashes."
The words were emblazoned in scarlet and gold on a plaque that hung high on the office building. The whole place had an atmosphere of activity and ambition that seemed to keep it running.

Janelle took a look at her formal black shirt, pair of white pants, and black pumps. "Not too bad," she mumbled and walked in briskly, observing that there wasn't any point tarrying.

She walked upto the receptionist after glancing around for a minute.

"Hi," Janelle greeted her with a formal smile. "I'm here for the internship interview."

The receptionist looked up from her laptop nonchalantly and gestured to her right.

"Fifth floor. The elevator's that way."

Janelle smiled again and muttered a thanks, heading towards the elevator before it closed. She glanced at the floor numbers going by. As it climbed upto the fifth floor, the doors slid open with a chime. Janelle took a deep breath and walked out, entering the official territory of the Phoenix CEO.

There were private offices towards the left of the corridor Janelle saw as she exited the elevator. Towards the right was a seating area for visitors. A man sat behind a desk outside the office rooms, gathering files and entering something into the computer on the desk, presumably doing a secretary's role. As Janelle approached him, she caught sight of his black blazer, which happened to be an Armani piece.

"Um, hi," her voice almost betrayed her nervousness. "I'm Janelle... I've got an interview with-"

The man interrupted her with a gesture towards an office door.

"Janelle Pearson. I'm Enrique Velasquez, Miss Ray's secretary. She will see you now," he stated with a curt nod and led Janelle towards the CEO'S office. Janelle slowly followed him, her legs feeling like she was about to run a marathon.

Enrique announced the girl's presence and Janelle almost died of anxiety as she stepped into the office.

The woman seated behind a mahogany desk was in her mid- forties, and the grey silk jumpsuit she had on complemented her almost-black hair.

Anushka Ray looked up from her papers and took a good look at the young girl in front of her. She motioned towards a chair with a slight nod.

"Sit."

******

Ten minutes were spent analysing Janelle's resume, with a few technical questions tossed at her occassionally. But the CEO still had a few remarks.

"Your resume also mentioned your contributions to your college magazine, as well as a local newspaper." Janelle tried not getting starstruck at the lady's every word.

"Um, yes. I wrote articles about fashion mostly," she replied.

The room returned to silence as Anushka shuffled through a few pages.

"Attention to detail is of great importance as a journalist," the executive remarked, glancing up from the file.

"To notice that which is often overlooked. For example... What was the clothing brand the receptionist was wearing today?"

Janelle's mind raced with a sense of recollection. "Ralph Lauren," she replied instinctively.

There was a pause. "And my secretary Enrique?"

Janelle smiled to herself. It was hard to miss that label.

"Armani."

Anushka hummed in response, leaning back in her chair. After a brief pause, she proceeded to another question.

"Why did you apply for an internship at Phoenix?"

Janelle blinked, taking a moment trying to frame an appropriate answer.

"Well, um, because I've been interested in fashion journalism for a very long time," she began. "And an internship at a highly reputed company, such as Phoenix, would provide great hands-on experience.

"I also feel I could contribute a considerable amount to this company through my time here." She paused for a moment before hastily adding, "If I'm accepted."

Anushka raised an eyebrow, considering the girl's answer.

Not many people had stated that they felt they could contribute to the company. They had simply droned on about how esteemed the magazine was, and how honoured they'd be at getting to work there.

She liked Janelle's confidence at her abilities.

"Well," Anushka spoke, after a few minutes of thought. "You've got some interesting views, Miss Pearson," she remarked, shutting the file with Janelle's resume.

"You will be informed within thirty six hours if you've been selected for our intership.

"Until then, good luck."