THE CRIME SCENE

Začať od začiatku

It might be the Mayor's order, but he knew for far too long to bother ask for your whole identity.

"All good, Detective; step on through."

You take back your ID and dip under the barrier Jimin is struggling to keep raised because of the spectators trying to move closer at the crime scene. As you move away from him, you glance down at your new ID.

Detective. It's the first time you've been addressed that way by one of your colleagues.

It's strange to hear the new title when it belongs before to old Detective Rain for so long that you were not sure if it fits you quite yet. After all, the only training you've had was the rushed speech you received from the mayor, addressing my many merits and how to show my willingness to take over.

The total of your experience probably amounts to that hour he spent lecturing you.

The promotion was rushed through in time for Rain's retirement party, leaving you spinning on how to react to the whole thing.

The former detective wasn't that old, only in his 30's but he would be moving on with his wife to Seoul, saying she would be pursuing further in her career of being an actress.

It wasn't exactly that you wanted the promotion, but you weren't going to turn it down when it was offered.

Only a fool would reject the opportunity.

Although you know the only reason you got it was because the captain needed someone in the station of a senior position, so he could go off and play golf with the mayor whenever he wants. But still, pay raise for you and more recognition of authority.

"Finally here then, Detective L/N"

You glance up at the sound of the familiar voice, a smile already on my face.

Officer Onda strides towards you, your old partner grinning at you as she nears. "Not much of a surprise they're all gathered here," she says, gesturing to the crowd behind us.

Looking over your shoulder at the bustle of people, with the sunlight glinting off the phones they held ready to take whatever pictures they can.

"This is probably the biggest thing that's happened for years", you reply with a shrug.

She nods in response, brushing back a few blond curls that bob in front of her eyes. "I can't help but notice none of the rich fools have come to join the party"

Her nose wrinkles as she speaks, showing her distaste over the elite members of your community.

"I suppose they don't care what happens as long as no one touches their mansions. But anyway, how's the first day of your promotion going?"

"It depends on how gruesome the murder is", you reply, shoving your hands deeper into your pockets.

Onda purses her lips and sighs, "It's going to be a terrible day for you, I guess"

"It's that bad?"

"I'd say so, but then I've never actually seen a murder before", she dares a glance down the street at the scene, though it's half hidden by white-clad crime scene technicians.