09 - did she?

Chris Langford

I am wide awake right now, lying in my bed. My mind was replaying the scenes from Hailey's house, the dinner we had and when she came to ask for the keys. I am in an amazing form of misery because before a week or so my mind was occupied by a certain someone that I've been looking for a year and so, but with this one week, shit appears to be changing.

I have no idea how long will it take for me to find a solution for us to get out of this deepshit. But fuck because she is already in my house, in fact sleeping in the room next to mine. I can't help but think about whether she is comfortable or not, but I got a partial green signal when she came to talk about the keys.

And now I have a new problem for myself, I have to give the ring to Hailey. This thought makes me anxious as fuck because I have zero ideas on how she will perceive the idea about wearing a ring and call herself engaged. The only thing I can do is waiting till the morning, but shit I am in deep trouble.

Sometime later I'd manage to fall asleep and made sure I woke up at time so set up the door locks for Hailey. I was sitting on the high stool in the kitchen, holding the box of ring in the hand under the table and sipping on my morning caffeine when she walked in. She was wearing her uniform and had her white coat hung loosely around her flexed elbow and also had her bag.

She came to the kitchen and greeted, "good morning." I nodded with a "morning". She placed her coat and bag on the kitchen counter and strode towards kitchen. I was still stressed about whether or not should I hand her the ring, it's in my hand I can just slide it to her but fuck me because my mind and thoughts weren't co-operating with me.

She came back and sat on the opposite side of counter, I saw she had a mug. To break my mind on the ring situation I asked, "What about your breakfast?" She looked a bit taken back but replied instantly, "sometimes I have it outside or a cup of coffee is fine for me till break, so yeah", she causally gave a small shrug and asked, "What about you?" to which I replied, "Marie comes in half-an-hour, and for today we are actually out of materials so will have to wait for her."

She nodded but I continued, "You should have breakfast here, before you leave and what about your lunch?" She composed herself as if being caught, "umm for lunch I have options so no worries." I concluded its gonna take time to be free round here in my house so I'd rather not ask her much.

I was still in dilemma about the ring and like a coward I slipped the box in pocket of my pants. I didn't realized she completed her coffee and was standing and collecting her things and as if on cue she cleared her throat, "umm I'm done so if you don't mind can we go have the key-password whatever-" I cut her off by standing up, "yeah sure come along."

Once I showed her the locks and all that she left with a "bye", and I got back to my morning routine. I went to my office and got to work as soon as possible.

It was like afternoon when I got a call from Nick. I picked it up and answered, "What is it, Nick?"

Nick - dude I'd like to meet that fiancé of yours, tell me has she moved in yet ? so I can come over!

I rubbed my free hand over my face thinking this dude is so freakin stubborn, "Yes she moved in but you are not coming as it's her first day and I don't want to scare her."

Nick replied in a teasingly - ahh ! already protective are we !

Me - get to the point nick

Nick - my point is I'd like to meet her , but some other day maybe, so I have something for you

Me - what is it

Nick - I got the thing done you asked for and your theory is ture.

We discussed it for a few more minutes and then ended the call.