Chapter 7

Before I start, I'd like to say a massive thank you to _ARIKKUN for all the support you've given me. It really makes my day and also makes me smile to see people love this story. And without further ado, let the chapter begin.

Walking back to the office, you decided to focus on the only thing that was on your mind. The further involvement in the case you just worked. You'd seen such a hierarchy many times before. It was always the conductor guiding the musicians to complete the masterpiece. Their pièce de résistance, if you will. Manipulating and controlling their puppets to do their bidding. Lurking in the shadows so their puppets can take the fall.

It was despicable work, in your own opinion. But it was never one you would voice. I mean, you only did when you thought it absolutely necessary. As in, if anyone and everyone needed to learn your opinion. Otherwise, you just kept it to yourself. You saw no reason to say trivial stuff like that.

You knew you'd later reap the benefits if the wrong ears heard your opinion. However, you could never know when that was. The only determining factor you could possibly know is that life always runs like clockwork. Even when you don't want it to. Circumstances can cut that short and the clock stops ticking. Each person is their own clock. Ticking constantly until the batteries run out. The span of that battery being almost like a life.

Easy to create for some, and just as easy to end. One small mistake to start a life. One small mistake to end it. Just. Like. That. It wasn't necessarily something you could easily get behind, but you sadly knew that it was true. No matter how many times you'd debate it within yourself, you'd always come up drawing a blank.

You knew there had to be some reason for this organisation to target those of society below the working line, struggling to make ends meet. They obviously had to have some form of motive, but the "what" and "why" were somewhat lost to you. Why would someone target those that are outcast by society? What are their motives?

"Earth to Y/N." Ranpo said, waving a hand in front of your face.

"Huh? Sorry, did you say something?" You asked.

"Yeah. I did. I wanted your thoughts on the case." Ranpo replied.

"Did you erm want to have a discussion over coffee?" You asked.

"No. Over pastries." Ranpo replied.

"Ah. I know a place." You reply.

"Oh? Lead the way then." Ranpo said.

You led him to a bakery you knew well. In fact, you knew the owner of said establishment. Saying they had the best pastries in all of Yokohama would, by no means, definitely not be and understatement. After several minutes of walking, you finally arrived at the bakery you were leading Ranpo to.

A quaint little bakery in the heart of Yokohama, hidden in the backstreets and almost unnoticeable to the human eye. Unless you really knew where to look, you wouldn't think to go looking for it. The sign that hung above the door reading, "Pâtisseries de France" in fancy writing, somewhat as a method to entice customers in.

Upon opening the door, the aroma of the bakery hits you straight in the face, entirely enticing you to step into the bakery further and browse the many items the bakery has to offer. You took a seat while Ranpo continued to browse the several display cases the bakery had to offer.

"Y/N? Long time, no see. What brings you here today?" The owner asked.

"Jess, hello. Business brought me here today." You replied.

"I see. I mean, this is the best place to go to in terms of business. Hardly anyone knows about the bakery." Jess replies.

"I'll take this." Ranpo said, pointing at a slice of chocolate cake.

"Sure." Jess said, taking the slice and plating it.

Jess didn't ask you what you wanted as she remembered from the last time you'd come into the bakery. Plating it, she brought it over to you along with two bottles of ramune. Thanking her, you both started eating your cake.

"So? What are your thoughts on that?" Ranpo asked.

"I'm not sure. I've been stuck trying to work out the what and why that I haven't put much thought into everything else." You reply.

"Hm. I see what you mean. It is a rather odd one. Why target the outcasts of society?" Ranpo said.

"Wait, could they be targeting them because, in a way, they're the easiest targets?" You say.

"In what way?" Ranpo asks.

"Well, put it this way, if they have no money, they could be offered money in exchange for co-operation." You explain.

"So you think this group is preying on this who are struggling?" Ranpo asks.

"Indeed. Take Sato's case, he lost his job and apparently owed some men money. So Sato was told to blow up the train station in exchange for a lump sum to pay off the men he owed money to. So this third party is targeting those who either owe loan sharks money or some other unknown factor." You said, taking a mouthful of the ramune.

"Mhm. Their motives, most likely, to get those outcast by society to do their dirty bidding for them." Ranpo added.

"Indeed. How we're going to ascertain who the culprits are?" You ask.

"Find someone who falls into that category and hope we can lure them out." Ranpo replied.

Immediately, you turned to face Jess.

"What?" Jess said.

"Jess. You'll do." You said.

"Huh?! How do I fall into that category?!" Jess argues.

"Oh come on. People hardly come here. Tell me how you don't fall into that category." You reply.

"Good point. So how am I supposed to lure them out?" Jess asks.

"We'll work that out." Ranpo replied.

"Great (!)" Jess replied.

"You'll be fine. You can protect yourself. And I can protect you." You add.

"Oh?" Ranpo remarked.

"Mhm. I have an ability. Not a great one, but it'll do." Jess replies.

"I'll work on the finer details; you just focus on psyching yourself up to actually go through with this. I'll be with you every step of the way. Might even go under with you." You comment.

"Alright..." Jess said, not sounding too convinced.

"Just stop by the office tomorrow and we'll discuss more in depth." You comment.

"Y/N." Ranpo said.

"Hm?" You reply.

"It's a nice atmospheric bakery. Thank you for recommending it." Ranpo said, playing with the marble inside his bottle by tilting the glass from side to side.

"I'm glad you liked it." You said with a slight smile.

You paid Jess for the food and thanked her before leaving the bakery and walking back to the office. You knew you had your work cut out for you just by planning this risky operation on its own. Let alone all the minute details that had to go into making this plan run like clockwork. What's the worst that could happen?

Sksks this feels rushed. Does it fell rushed? Sorry for the delay in uploading. I was gonna add to this chapter earlier at work but then realised I didn't have the updated version on my phone.