Settling Home

I laid awake in my bed, it took everything out of me to get up out of bed. My complaint was sent to court and a custody trial would soon follow. Today, I had to meet with our lawyers to try to discuss settlement details. I knew going in though, no matter what I would fight for full physical custody. Anything less was worthless to me. That morning I dropped Rheagan off at school, she looked at me before leaving the car and spoke, the first real words since our parent's death. 

"Hey, Peyt?"

"Yeah, boo-boo?"

"I just wanted to tell you thank you, for everything you do for me. Even when I ignore you, and am rude. These past few weeks have been hell, but having you here has meant the world to me. Thanks for dropping your life to be her." 

As soon as I began to reply, she lept out of the car and headed to class.

When I pulled out of the carpool line, I pulled into the nearest store. Walgreens. 

I broke down, I sobbed and sobbed. I knew that even though it was taking everything out of me I was doing the right thing, I would never stop fighting for my family. 

I grabbed a few necessities from Walgreens and headed home. 

When I got home, I napped before I had to meet with our lawyers. The past few weeks I've been so dead tired. When Mad would ask about my excess sleep and whirlwind headaches, I chalked it up for grief. But there was a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't quite shake. 

I had bought a pregnancy test earlier, and couldn't bring myself to use it. I had way too much on my plate to even think about being pregnant. I threw the box, that I opened but couldn't bear to take the test out and chucked it into my closet. I put on some light wash jeans and a sweater. 

Whatever answer the test held, It was my worry for later. My first importance was my meeting with the lawyers. I moped to my car, dreading all the stress I would lay on myself while I fought to not have to see a day in court. If my aunt could come to her senses we wouldn't have to go to court. I hope this meeting proves this to her. 

When I arrived at the office, my lawyers Andy and Karla were waiting for me. We went over important points to discuss with my aunt and her lawyer. 

I was currently searching for a job, I was stable financially, I was blood, and my sister needed me. But in the end, if my aunt couldn't take my word for it, in the next month I would be fighting against her in court for full physical custody of my 15-year-old sister. 

I understood that my aunt meant well, for the most part. But I wasn't a naive 17 year old anymore. That's all she knew me as when I left for college and I rarely came back. I threw myself into school and becoming a nurse. But what she didn't see is that I grew up. I wasn't stupid, or careless. I was free and strong, and I knew what my life would hold. 

I mean, before. I knew what my life held before. Everything seemed to change. I had plans but those changed. I had dreams, but those changed too. Now my life revolved around taking care of my sister. 

The phone rang, and our call began. 

The whole time we spent in the call, and I couldn't tell you one thing that was said. My mind was someone else entirely. I blinked and all I heard was: 

"We'll see you in court."

Here we go. 

When I walked out of the lawyer's office, I sat in my car and cried. The worst has happened. I had to enter the court and fight for custody of my sister because my family thinks I am unfit to care for her. 

I drove home and all I could think about is how much I missed Alex. The whole drive home it took everything out of me not to call him. He was always so easy to talk to, and he knew how to calm my nerves. 

When I got home I dropped my bags and kicked off my heels. All I wanted to do was sleep. As soon as I inhaled the smell of bacon from breakfast, a wave of nausea washed over me. There I was emptying the contents of my stomach into the toilet. 

I got up from the ground and brushed my teeth. I walked to my room. I had to know, so I pulled out the box I had thrown into my closet and walked back into the bathroom. 

The peeing part was easy, it was the waiting that seemed to last an eternity. 3 of the longest minutes of my life. I waited for the line to appear. As soon as the test loaded I regretted the decision to take it. Two very bright pink lines.

"Pregnant," I whispered as tears began to fall down my face. 

Now, what was I going to do?