The Handbook...

Barbara's golden hair swayed fiercely from side to side as the Maitlands frantically paced about in the attic. "We have to put a stop to her!"

"Can you think of a method to get rid of her?" Adam inquired, turning and scanning his wife's expression for suggestions.

"How can you kill a vampire?" Barbara inquired, her tone of voice rising up a few octaves in bewilderment.

"Sunlight and holy water! We don't have it, though!" Adam's expression sank. "And she's also a demon. Not a vampire."

"Well.... Isn't there another way to get rid of her?" Barbara inquired. "Anything?"

"I don't know?" Adam paused for a moment, thinking to himself. "Uh.... Chop off her head?"

Barbara liked the sound of Adam's suggestion. "Yes!" she chirped out in a much deeper tone diametrically opposed to her normal speaking tone.

"Who are we decapitating?" Lydia asked as she creaked the attic door open, startling the ghosts. She had read her fair share of stories with ghosts scaring people but not the other way around. She decided she'd have to do it more often.

"Delia!" Barbara shouted gleefully, syllable by syllable.

"You ought to... It would be perfect for her!" Lydia agreed with a smirklike smile, the copy of the Handbook for the Recently Deceased given to her by Delia still clutched tightly against her chest as she stepped towards the Maitlands. Both ghosts groaned in reaction to Lydia's words.

Adam grew enraged and shook his head. "I know that hate is a harsh term, but I do not like her!"

"She is, without a doubt, a monster. But she did give this to me!" Lydia stated, drawing out the Handbook and focusing on it rather than on how to murder Delia.

As he felt attracted towards his kryptonite, Adam's eyes sparkled. "Is that an old book? I love old books! I'm getting thrilled!".

"In our society, there are two types of individuals: "New-car smell" people and "Old-book smell" people!" Barbara jumped in as well. "We, are "Old-book smell" people!"

"Well... we like the scent of ancient books," Lydia declared. She and the Maitlands glanced around the attic before focusing back down on the Handbook for the Recently Deceased and taking in its old smell.

Barbara eventually got a tiny glimpse of the old book's title. "The Handbook for the Recently Deceased?"

"Yeah. I'm going to use it to get my dad back," Lydia said, "I'm so happy! However, I require one of you to open it. Will you do the honor, Adam?"

Adam nearly jumped at the chance to read this book first. He levitated his reading glasses onto his face. "This is amazing!"

"Can you tell me why she gave it to you?" Barbara questioned the excitable teenager.

"To bring my dad back from the Netherworld?" Lydia stated clearly.

Adam cleared his throat and put his hand on top of the book, not wanting to ask Lydia for it but still wanting it. Adam took his time opening the book.

"Wow!" he shouted out, unable to think of anything else to say. He felt almost like a young and curious child again. He adjusted his reading glasses and continued. "Chapter one - the Netherworld: All ghosts should proceed directly to the Netherworld. That would have been good to know!"

He turned and gazed at Barbara, who laughed and agreed.

"Is there anything in there about bringing people back?" Lydia inquired.