Scare Attempt...

Lydia sulked in her room, staring at a photograph of herself and her father that used to hang in the hallway of their previous house. She recognised Lawrence when she heard a knock at her door. He would constantly knock to the beat of various rock songs, indicating that it was him. She groaned and walked to her bedroom door, covering the photo and let her soon-to-be stepfather in. That was done grudgingly.

"What?" she grumbled out. As he walked in, he chuckled.

"Hello, Eva Ortiz!" Lawrence would often call her this in a humorous manner because she developed a goth appearance.

"You haven't answered my question!" Lydia remarked as she folded her arms. He presented her with a plastic bag.

"I bought something for you to wear tonight. I hope you enjoy it!" Lawrence stated as he sat down on her bed. Lydia took a bright yellow dress from her bag. It was the ugliest thing she had ever seen in her life.

"Gee. Thank you, Lawrence. It's quite...nice. Although it may seem better in black," she murmured the last bit to herself.

"See. I had a feeling you'd appreciate it. I realise it's not black, but this is a dinner party, not a wake."

"It might be both!" Pulling out a mimed glass, Lydia continued, "a toast to my mum and to the rest of my extended family. In addition, one of your wine glasses is poisoned!" Lydia said with a crazy tone.

"Lydia, you give that to me!" Lawrence laughed along with the humour. He snatched the mimed glass from the teenager and tossed it to the floor. "Smash! You're diverting anger, deflecting pain, and other phrases I learnt in my training right now, Lydia. A fresh viewpoint is just what you require!" Lawrence said.

"That's helpful to know. Let me work on it while you walk downstairs and practise holding your breath till the visitors arrive," Lydia stated this as he pushed Lawrence out the door and slammed it in his face. She shook her head and glanced down at the hideous gown she was forced to wear.

She didn't want to harm Lawrence because she didn't want to upset her mother. She groaned and put the outfit on. She wished she could start a fire and burn it.

When she approached the door, she heard her crazy uncle Maxie exclaim, "EM! my old SIL!" and her mother sighed. He was definitely squeezing her tightly.

"Hi!" Maxine spoke pleasantly, although her speech was a little muddled.

"Lawrence!" Emily exclaimed and he walked in, "I'd want you both to meet my fiance!"

"Namaste!" he said, a little hesitantly.

"Tiramisu!" Maxine replied.

"Excuse me?" The uncomfortable introductions were finally over, and she could hear everyone settling in at the table. She also overheard her uncle inquire about her whereabouts. That was the call to action. She rushed up the steps to the attic and knocked, checking to see whether the Maitlands were ready. They were, and Lydia dashed back to the basement.

"Mother? Oh, sweet mother? Is it true that I heard the dinner bell?

"Lydia!" said a surprised Emily. Lydia took a seat and requested Lawrence to give a speech.

"Of course," he said. "What else can I say besides DAY-O?!"

Lawrence performed a dramatic song and elicited a gasp from the audience.

"What's the matter, Lawrence? Do you think you're okay?" Emily gave an uneasy laugh.

"I'm sorry, but I don't... I have no idea what just happened. I meant to say, 'Me say day, me say day, me say day, me say day, me say day-o'!" he sang once more, this time with more exaggeration. Everyone began to freak out as they realised they were being forced to sing and dance to Harry Belafonte's 'Day-o (the banana boat song)'. Everyone was dancing, with Emily using the champagne bucket as a drum and Lawrence and the dinner party guests all forming a distorted conga line with occasional 'stops' and a 'this is so violating!'.