Part 3

You had gone to your room to go to sleep but, hours later, you were still wide awake. All you could think about was how the cat easily brushed off your attempts.

He didn't look like he even broke a sweat, while you, on the other hand, had given all you had. There was only so much Google could teach you about focusing your magic.

If you wanted any chance at really helping with it, you needed to find a trainer. Someone to teach you how to use it.

But then Tony would know, you reminded yourself. Which cannot happen.

An announcement from Jarvis jolted you from your thoughts. "They are waiting for you downstairs."

Anxiously pulling on the hem of your hoodie, you thanked the AI and made your way downstairs where Natasha and Tony waited, having insisted on spending the important moment with you.

They waited patiently as you sat down on a couch and looked at the clock projected onto a wall that read a minute to midnight.

"It's going to sting a bit when it appears, but that will just let you know where it is," Tony said, as if he hadn't already told you a hundred times.

The moment the clock hit midnight, your right hand burned. Burned like hell. Clenching your teeth, you watched in fascination as the mark etched itself into your hand. The swirl started at your middle finger, working its way around your hand, up your arm. It almost looked like you had gotten a tattoo.

Not even a moment later, your other arm started to burn. Wait, what?

Tony said something but you were so focused on the burn traveling up your left arm that was covered by your cast that you missed it.

You nodded and smiled, hoping that had been the right response to whatever he said as your mind scrambled to figure out what the hell was going on.

Did you have...two soulmates? No. No, that's not possible. It was probably just...cast burn or something. Yeah. Cast burn. That was a thing, right?

The universe hates me.

"Okay great." Tony stood up. "Thanks."

Wait, what did you just agree to?

"I hope to be back in a week but, if you need anything, don't be afraid to call."

"Fury is coming soon to pick up our prisoner so he won't bother you," Natasha added, giving you an odd look that you couldn't decipher.

"No!" You blurted out.

"No?" Tony raised an eyebrow. "Why not?"

Why not? That...was a very good question. "I uh...I could..try and question him more." Great job. That was a reasonable answer.

"Fury's got guys for that," he assured you.

Not even sure what made you fight for this, you responded, "It'll give me something to do while you're gone."

He opened his mouth to argue but Natasha put her hand on his shoulder to stop him. "She'll be fine."

She leaned closer and whispered in his ear. She likely didn't plan for you to hear, but, once again, your mind automatically adjusted to let you hear. "She just wants to feel helpful. Let her."