Chapter 8: Physical Therapy

Start from the beginning

"Okay, let's see." Katara opened a drawer to pull out a measuring device. She held the device to the side of Korra's knee. Korra slowly started bending her knee, this was the first time Asami had ever seen her bend her knee since the injury.

The measurement was at exactly 90 degrees, "Good job. I see you have been working on it."

"I try to do a little movement every night before bed." Korra said.

"I'll have you do some leg lifts before we have you stand up."

"Ok." Korra lifted her leg up then down five times before Katara stopped her.

"The leg lifts will help rebuild the muscles in your quads. It will make it easier for you to walk when your muscles are strong." The old woman explained.

Katara did a couple more stretches and workouts before she gave Korra the okay to stand on her own. "Asami, can you stand up? Korra, I want you to walk to Asami." Asami stood up and waited

Korra swung her legs off of the bed and she looked at Asami with a grin then stood up without assistance. Korra closed her eyes and took her first step.

Asami felt so much joy for her girlfriend. Korra continued to walk towards her with a slight limp. After a few more steps she wrapped her arms around Asami, with tears in her eyes she whispered, "Thank you so much." Asami returned the embrace, "Anytime."

"Now Korra, I want you to walk back to the bed." Korra nodded her head and did as she was told. The tan girl still had a little limp but she was overjoyed and was ready to start training again.

Asami couldn't keep a smile off her face when she saw Korra walk back to the bed. This was everything Korra had wanted and Asami was there to share that moment.

"How does your knee feel?" Katara asked.

"It just feels a little stiff." Korra said as she continued to bend her knee.

"So there's no pain or aches?"

Korra shook her head."No, it feels amazing."

"Good, I think when you come back for your next appointment we will work on strengthening that leg. For now I want you to continue to use the brace but you can ditch the crutches."

"Wait, I can stop using the crutches." Katara nodded her head in reply.

Korra looked at Asami and gave her a huge smile, "I can't thank you enough for being here."

"I'll always be here for you." Asami said.

Korra turned her attention to Katara, "And thank you for getting me back on my feet."

Katara nodded her head again, "I'll get your next appointment set up. You may go."

Korra put her knee brace back on and handed her crutches to Asami, "Can you carry these for me?"

"Of course." She took them.

Korra walked out of the therapist's office and all the way to Asami's car. She sat down in the passenger seat with a sigh of relief. Asami put the crutches in the back seat. She sat in the driver seat grabbed Korra's hands, "I'm so proud of you. You overcame the odds and look at you now. I love you, Korra."

Korra didn't have time to comprehend what Asami just said before she was pulled in for a kiss. Asami had her hands on both sides of Korra's face. Korra could feel her whole body heat up. She pulled away just enough to look into her lover's eyes, "I love you too, Asami."

"I guess we should get back to school." Asami said as turned the car on. She continued to hold Korra's hand even as she backed out of the parking lot.