Prologue: Night Raven College

For me...
For them...
For you...

We are all running out of time.

No matter what...

Never,

Let go of my hand.

Yulia awoke. It was dark, but there was no sign of that inky matter that forced her through the mirror. Her heart swelled with happiness. Surely she's in her room on her comfy bed. It was just a dream after all!

She began to sit up only to bang her head on something hard. The hairpiece that kept one side of her bangs pulled back bruised her head a little as it collided with the flat surface above. It was then that she realized the soft pillows and blankets of her bed were not underneath her. She felt around, panicking. She was surrounded on all sides.

With the little bit of room she had in this small confined space, she brought her hands to her face in both frustration and fear. The worst possible things came to mind. Has she been kidnapped? What did they want with her? Is there any way to escape?

Yulia felt around again. She pressed the top lightly, careful about making too much noise. There didn't seem to be any way to open it, but she concluded that it was a strangely shaped structure. Maybe even a box?

"Why is it in a...?" Realization hit her. The shape of this box was...

A coffin.

Yulia's mind started racing with whys and hows. Her head throbbed trying in vain to come up with an answer.

Her thoughts were interrupted at the rattling of the coffin's lid. Someone was trying to open it. As much as she wanted out, she was terrified at what would happen next.

"Ah, crap... There're people coming. I gotta get a uniform before—."

For a brief moment, Yulia's fear melted away at the sound of this voice. It wasn't a normal voice, in fact, it sounded like some sort of cartoon gremlin. And what was that about a uniform? She leaned over the best she could and put her ear to the side so that she could listen.

"Grrrah!! This lid is too heavy," the voice whispered in annoyance. "I have no choice but to use my secret move! Guwaahh!!!"

A flash of blue light and a wave of heat passed over Yulia's head. The lid crash-landed somewhere nearby with a thud. Yulia stayed put, too astonished to move.

"Nyah-ha-ha! Piece of cake for the great Grim! Now time to—"

The source of the voice peeked into the coffin and shouted in surprise. Yulia joined in because she was now staring at a walking, talking, demon cat.

"AHH! Why are you up?!" It jumped back.

"What are you, a... Pokémon!?" Yulia scrambled out of the coffin to get as far away from the creature as she could. She stared at it praying that it was some kind of advanced animatronic, but it moved too fluidly and blue fire came out of its ears.

"What're you talking about?! I am the GREAT GRIM! Ah, but that's not important right now! I need those clothes, so hand 'em over!" The cat put his little paws on his hips and grinned devilishly. "If you don't... I'll roast ya, ya know!"

He then raised his stubby arms and fire rose around him. Yulia fought to stand up, but there was something soft and slippery underneath her. She looked at what it was and to her surprise, she found that she was dressed in an intricate robe. Confusion spread across her face, but she eventually got to her feet and ran.