Two

Bracken was the first to enter their cottage. His father straightened a long awaiting smile on his face, "They made it in safe?"

"Yeah, all of em, even that disgusting light-bearer."

"Light-bearer?" His father went on alert, but before he could ask anymore questions, Alyn opened the door. He went to greet his son, wrapping him in a giant hug, "Alyn, my son!"

"Dear, you are blocking the door and we would like to sit by the fire." His wife pushed at the two in a loving joke. The women shuffled past the two. Alyn introduced them one by one. The chief greeted them, nodding his head in respect to each one. Ava blushed in response, "Chief, sir, it is good to meet you."

"Please, call me Lan." She smiled back nodding. River pulled her along to sit on the far side of the fire, built in the middle of the room. An opening above made an escape for the smoke, River looked past admiring the stars as the others huddled in.

When Ellora came to the threshold, he was back in the door frame again, "Ellora!" He was so overwhelmed with joy at seeing his children again. His tears dripped down his cheeks.

Ellora smiled up at him, wiping them away, "I'm home, father."

He smiled back, brushing some stray strands away from her face and kissing her forehead, "I am so glad. We were worried for so long. Alyn's letters had stopped coming and we weren't sure if you both were even alive."

Ellora kissed his cheek, "We're here, for real this time, so do not worry any longer."

He hugged her one last time and spied a soldier lingering behind. Lan moved himself calmly between his daughter and the soldier with blonde hair, "You must be the light-bearer." He did not offer his hand or any other sort of greeting.

"Nicola of Ilios." Nicola shifted his weight nervously. He took a deep breath, lifting his head, "You must be the Chief of the Southern Isles."

Ellora lingered in the doorway, "Father, let's all come in by the fire."

Nicola could tell from the strain in her voice that she was apprehensive. He did not blame her, he was also nervous about this particular encounter. He knew he would have to take whatever punishment the Chief would consider without hesitation in order to earn their trust. And he did want to earn their trust. He wanted to marry Ellora, and also wanted to get along with her family.

Lan looked him up and down, "Ellora, go join your mother. Nicola and I need to have a discussion."

Ellora grimaced, "I don't think that is wise, Father. Who would end this withering stare contest if I were not here?"

Nicola waited patiently, trying to seem as calm as Ellora's father currently was, but not in control.

Lan glanced over his shoulder, "Fine, then stay." He turned back to Nicola, "But you, leave."

"That is the one thing I cannot do, sir."

Lan tilted his head in disbelief, he approached Nicola, who did not flinch, just calmly stood his ground. Alyn had come over to the door as well. Lan was inches from the young man's face, "Why?" He asked half out of curiousity.

Nicola had been looking at him this whole time, but now he looked into Ellora's scared eyes, "Because I need her. I love her, and wherever she goes, I go."

Lan considered him for a moment, "You're land took my children, my own children away from me, threatening me with war. We have not heard from them in months, and this is how you make your first acquaintance?"

"Anything else." He said, still looking at Ellora, "Anything else within my power, I will do."

"Tell the King to leave the Southern Isles alone."

"The King is dead, and the provinces have established a new form of government that I am no longer a part of. It is a council of people from all walks of life. They move together as one, or they do not move at all. I actually learned that from your daughter. She said that you have a very similar form of government here. It was the best that I could do to serve my people."

Lan considered his words, he looked earnest, "You have committed a crime against the Chief's family. I cannot overlook it."

Nicola nodded his understanding. Lan waved and two guards approached him. He stood still as they grabbed his arms to detain him.

Ellora's face fell. Nicola's heart wrenched as the shock passed a look of worry came over her. She moved toward them, "Father, no! Don't, please!" Alyn grabbed her and hugged her to his chest. Nicola did not know how to take their reactions, am I about to be beheaded?

"You will await trial in the guardhouse. If you try to escape, you will be killed immediately." Lan looked him in the eye, even now his voice held a wisdom along with the gravity, "Do you understand?"

Nicola felt no intimidation from him, the man really wanted to know, "Yes, sir. I will await the trial patiently."

"No!" Ellora knew what the council would rule. Nicola was an outsider without representation and only a bad reputation in the Isles. They would advise her father to put him to death. It was a punishment only reserved for those who tried to kill, but the village had taken the letter very personally. She rushed to her father. He wrapped his arms around her as the guards tied Nicola's hands and led him away without fight or struggle.

Ellora looked up at him and back to Nicola, "You mustn't, they will kill him!"

His face was resigned, "This is too big for me to decide on my own. The council will hear his testimony, and will decide from there." He watched as she became strained. She suddenly looked feeble.

Ellora clenched her jaw, "What about my testimony? What about the fact that Nicola saved my life, and is still saving my life?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Father," Alyn stepped in, "I understand that you underwent many preparations today, to give us a feast. Let's take part in the festivities tonight, and perhaps we can discuss this before any trial can take place. We all know that he will not be unfairly treated in the meantime. The bed in the guardhouse is the same as my very own."

Lan nodded, "I will agree to this." He turned to Ellora.

She nodded sullenly, "Very well."

Lan smiled slightly, he looked very much like Alyn with his half-smile. Alyn and Ellora followed him inside. The others had already begun snacking, but they had waited for Lan to cut up the meat. It was a small party with a slightly tense undercurrent. Ellora had already resolved herself to meet up with Nicola and ask him why he had not even defended himself to her father, but it would have to wait. Unfortunately, she did not feel much like eating and her back was beginning to burn uncomfortably