BONUS CHAPTER FOUR: Alternate Ending

Start from the beginning

As I approached Crosshair, he glared at me with his arms still crossed. "What do you want?"

"Thank you for saving me and Omega." I said simply.

"Consider us even." he huffed. He was referring to when I pulled him out from under the rafter.

"It, surprised me, to be honest." I admitted. "It seems...you still have some honor left in you." Crosshair averted his eyes from me and didn't reply. "I know you believe the Empire is all you have left...but your honor, Crosshair, is sacred, and it's not something the Empire seeks as a necessary attribute in their troopers...You are regarded as a number, as a disposable pawn..."

Again, I received no comment. Sighing, I added, "I also want to apologize for how I reacted in the training facility. And for slapping you. And for yelling at you. That was childish of me...However, that doesn't mean I forgive you. I'm not sure if I can...But don't worry, what we discussed will stay between you and me. I promise."

"How considerate of you."

He was putting up a tough act now, but I figured he was forcing himself to so he wouldn't seem weak. I faced my whole body to him; when he wouldn't make eye contact, I used my hand to turn his chin. "If you decide to take anything from what I've said, remember this: family, is forever. No matter the trials and tribulations."

As my hand lowered and I turned away to join the others, Crosshair snatched my fingers in his. "Fern," he started.

"What is it?"

"Your presence, was never a nuisance to me. And it never will be."

My lips curled into a smile and I gently pulled my hand from his grasp. "Likewise." I winked, and hurried to the Marauder, hopping up the steps, never turning back. The door closed behind me and the ship sailed off the platform and into the clear sky.

Hunter was there waiting for me and steadied me. "I got you." he assured. His hold around me felt so comforting after all we've been through in the last twenty-four hours...Part of me just wanted to sleep, but his dark eyes met mine...I reached up to his jawline and pulled him in, our lips locking together.

"I've been wanting to do that for awhile now." I smirked after I lowered off the tip of my toes. Hunter scoffed and hooked a loose damp strand of hair from my face, the back of his fingers carassed down my cheek. "I've been, thinking the same thing." he admitted, and this time he kissed me.

"Ohhhh..." We heard Omega giggle. We released our kiss and found that we were being watched by her, Echo, and Wrecker (it seemed like Tech rather pilot the ship). I couldn't help smirking. "Enjoying the show?" I arched my brow. Then, I kissed Hunter for a third time, a little harder, and I got a "Whoo Hoo!" from Wrecker.

"Alright, alright, show's over." Hunter and I finished and waved them off. Once the two spectators moved on with some persuasion, Hunter and I side-eyed each other and stiffled a laugh in unison. Then, I worded silently, I love you...

Hunter, with the most sincere gleam in his eyes, mouthed right back, I love you, too...

That was it...That's all I needed...I was complete.

——————————————————————

THIRD PERSON POV

Fern was joined by Omega after the former finished changing into dry, clean clothes. Omega's mouth grew into a wide grin when Fern asked if she would braid her hair for her. Afterwards, Fern topped off her look with her old bandana and pulling a few loose hairs to frame her face. "There, how do I look?" She smirked at the young girl. Omega nodded in approval. Fern caught the notion she wanted to say more...

"What is it, Half-Pint?" she asked. "Something on your mind?" She shook her head, still smiling, and leaned her temple on Fern's arm.

"I'm so proud of you on how far you've come." I confessed. "Everyone here is proud of you, too." I was positive it was true, watching the boys at the head of the ship from our view. To think, these boys, who have never known how to love or nurture...had only seen war, destruction, and suffering, and had always been treated like outcasts, even by yours truly... From the beginning, they instinctively treated the child with such a soft, gentle, and loving touch, that I couldn't fathom where it came from.

"I love you, Half-Pint." I breathed, and pulled her into my arms, kissing her forehead. Omega buried her face in my chest. I held her a little longer before gently pulling us apart, pressing our foreheads together, both of us stiffling laughter. I never imagined in a million years, I would grow so fond of a child, much less fall in love with my best friend...

"You really are just like a mom..." she hummed, and Fern's heart fluttered.

"Omega..."

——————————————————————

FERN'S POV

As we zipped through light-speed, I entered the main controls area, Tech and Echo occupied the pilot's and co-pilot's seats respectfully. I centered myself between them and watched the mesmorizing blue lightshow displayed outside the windshield. "I suppose we are heading back to Ord Mantell?"

"Until we have a more preferable method of collecting compensation for our labor, yes." Tech stated bluntly. I rolled my eyes, slapping a hand on his shoulder. "Oh, Cid has treated us with adequate decency, admit it." I glanced down at Echo for a moment. I knew it... I thought when I caught the pained expression in his large eyes.

"Tech, could you excuse me and Echo?" I requested. Tech glanced up at me while adjusting his goggles like he was about to protest, but his mouth gaped when I gave him a look. "I will go and assure Wrecker is not rummaging through our rations." Tech rose from the pilot's seat and as he slipped passed me, I thanked him with my eyes. Tech responded with a nod.

As I plopped down across Echo, he rotated in his chair to face me. "Something on your mind, Fern?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I sighed. Echo's brow raised in confusion. "You don't have to hide it anymore, Echo. Kamino...I mean. Oh, E-echo, wait..." I gasped as the cyborg clone raised his human hand to his mouth, his eyes strained from fighting back tears. "Echo...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm—"

"No, you're right." Echo swallowed the lump forming in his throat. "Kamino was our home. Watching it burn like that...It reminded me of how Fives and I once helped prevent that during the war. Afterwards, we were promoted to ARC troopers. Now, it feels like it was all for nothing. The Republic. Now, Kamino."

"I know." I reached with both hands and softly enclosed his human hand in them. "I know. I was there, too. Behind the scenes, but I assisted in protecting the embryo room. All those years on my own, Kamino, though it didn't feel like a home, it was the most familiar in my life...But what has happened, I guess it was inevitable. The Clone Wars, is truly over."

"Fern?"

I blinked, realizing I had shed a few silent tears. I wiped them away with one hand, but still squeezed Echo's long fingers with my other. "I'm alright. I just hope you are, too."

"I am. Thank you, Fern, really." Echo nodded, his eyes shining with the kindest sincerity. I rose to my feet, leaned down over him, and planted a small kiss on his forehead. "We're soldiers, and we're survivors."

"At least, we have each other."

FIN...of the ALTERNATE ENDING...