03. ᴡɪᴛᴄʜᴇꜱ ᴍᴀʀᴋ

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Melissa asks as she, Tommy and Cindy break into Nurse Lanes office.

"It'll be fine! It's not like she's coming back and they haven't appointed a new Nurse."

"So, what exactly are we looking for?" Tommy questions.

"Answers," Cindy returns as Melissa looks at Tommy in concern of their current illicit activities. 

"Come on, Cindy. It doesn't matter, alright?" Tommy tells her as Cindy emphasises that it does, in fact, matter.

"Cindy, I really don't think this is a good idea. We should be supervising Colour War." But Mel's words fall upon deaf ears.

"There's a reason Mary did what she did and said what she said. We're going to figure it out now" Cindy refused to let it go as Tommy and Melissa argued that it was a dumb idea and really didn't matter. Tommy sighed as Cindy walked into the nurses' office, Melissa trailing after her. The girls continued searching the office, opening the drawers Cindy chuckles and picks up a medication bottle.

"No label, half-empty. Like I said, she was on drugs! Just have to get these to the cops, then they'll tell us what they-" She trails off as Tommy picks up a book from beside Melissa, "What is that?"

"'A deal was made with the devil'" Tommy starts off as Melissa continues, "'Sarah Fier cut off her wicked hand on Satan's stone, in exchange for eternal life, scarring the soil beneath with the witches mark bringing darkness upon the land.' Do you guys seriously believe in this witch bullshit? It's probably just a scary campfire story" Melissa laughs out while looking at the drawing of the witches' mark. The three turn their heads around as they hear glass break. "Did you hear that?"

Tommy moves towards the noise calling out as Mel follows at his heels, "Hello? Is somebody in there?" Tommy jumps as Alice scares him, Melissa letting a little scream in fear. Alice laughed at their reactions. "Come on. That's not funny."

"Alice? What are you doing here?" Alice scoffs at Cindy's remark.

"Looks like we're here for the same thing." She says looking at the medicine bottle Cindy was still carrying, "Must really want me to scrub those toilets." Cindy asserts that she wasn't getting the drugs for Alice and Arnie.

"Woah, Berman! I didn't know you were into that kinda thing." Arnie says with a chuckle.

"They're not for her. She's giving them to the police!" Melissa speaks up but Alice doesn't believe them before snapping at Cindy in anger.

"No, what are you talking about? What? Now you're going to snitch on Mary too?" Cindy stutters trying to justify herself as Arnie steals Mary's diary and tosses it to Alice. 

"'She emerged by the meeting house, one hand severed, lost forever. We hanged the witch, body chained and buried but without her hand, her grip on the land holds firm' Ohhh!" She grins, speaking in a spooky voice. "This is Sarah Fier shit." She moves the book further from Cindy's grasp, "When she is near, blood will fall and the curse will last until body and hand unite".

"Alice! That's Mary's diary, you need to put it back and this Sarah Fier stuff is just bullshit to give people an interesting campfire story" Mel tries to persuade her, truthfully Melissa doesn't know if it's true or not. Having moved to Sunnyvale, everyone had mixed beliefs but many labelled it as a running joke to deal with all the massacres. 

"It's not just a diary." She turns it around, "It's a map. Crazy Nurse Lane made a crazy map," she said while studying it, moving over to the bed. "It's camp but looks like she drew all over it. 1666 Union."

"Union! That's Shadyside."

"What?"

"I mean, the settlement before it was divided into Shadyside and Sunnyvale."