Things Get Better When You Fall: Rewrite (hurt/comfort, but with lots of angst)

Start from the beginning

That thought was what made Xay stay hidden away for another two days, only really ever getting up to, reluctantly, take water from outside, only to drink a small amount and stare at the rest, thoughts spiralling in his head like threads, encasing him.

And just like anyone else, when Xay's thoughts lingered for too long, they developed into something much worse than what he started with.

Grief turned into anger, not at Xisuma, but at himself.

You should've been there.

You could've saved him.

He's dead because of you.

You don't deserve to be here.

You deserve to die.

He should be alive, not you.

There's no one left here for you.

It's all your fault.

All.

Your.

Fault.

And you deserve to live up to what you've done.

When you're in a state of grief as strong as the one that comes with losing a brother, you can't distinguish logic from fantasy.

So Xay believed it.

He believed every single thought.

It made him start doubting if he should be allowed to live.

Xay found it harder and harder to get out of bed every day.

He opened the door, staring at the tray with food and water that Hels had left. This time, there was a note attached, and Xay picked it up to read.

Uh, hey, it read in Hels's jagged handwriting. If you ever need to talk, you can talk to me? I mean, I just figured it'd be good to offer and stuff, but I don't really know.

Xay stared at the note, a sort of anger burning in his eyes.

He didn't need Hels's pity.

It wasn't like the great knight of the Nether cared about Xisuma's death, anyways.

Xay crumpled it up and left it in place of the glass of water, which he took.

As per usual, he left the food.

"Xay's, it's been a week," Hels's voice came through the door. "You've eaten a grand total of once. It's not going to solve anything, starving yourself. I know I'm supposed to be going easy on you, but blazes do you make it hard. Eat something. Go for a walk. I mean, you've been drinking water, which is good, congrats, but seriously. Get out of that room."

"Get out of my life," they were the first words Xay had spoken in weeks, and his voice cracked as he said them. He didn't really mean it, it just... came out.

He almost didn't regret it when Hels didn't say anything, just walked away.

Xay hated it all.

He hated the universe.

He hated Hels.

He hated himself.

He had finally gotten out of his room, waiting until it was the sleep shift, when Hels would be asleep, to sneak out to go on a walk.

He kicked a small piece of netherrack, wiping tears out of his eyes.