1. A Phenomenon Never Seen

"The class was hella boring," Ivan let out an exasperated sigh as he rubbed his eyes.

"I haven't felt this dead since the last time I went to the mall with mum," Stuvan yawned beside me as a strong arm came over the two of our shoulders and pressed us down as a figure sprang forth—like a Hylobatidae—and landed about a dozen stairs in front of us.

"Ahg-" Stuvan grunted as I stared down at our idiot of a friend, hyperactive as always.

"Yeah, CHS wasn't really into it today," Aarav said as he got up, dusting his jeans.

Walking down the steps, I deadpanned at him and turned towards the last flight of stairs. "It's scary how I have accepted the fact that I am friends with an ape in disguise."

"Hey!" Aarav shot back indignantly as he went past me while skipping over 2-3-4 steps at a time. "What can I do if you guys are so slow? Besides, an ape won't be studying in a prep school, now would it?"

"Turns out your grades are akin to that of an ape's," Ivan quipped as he followed behind.

Aarav visibly flinched as we emerged out of the building.

The night was as dark as it should have been at eight o'clock, the other students began spilling into the street. Several students hustled towards their parents, while others laughed aloud in groups. A few bury their faces in books as they walked, while some were seriously engrossed in savouring the more mature flavour of youth. (yeah, you got it right)
Everything seemed normal but there was a feeling in my guts that was keeping me on edge.

I don't know what I was expecting but there was something... something unusual going around but what?

"The clouds are pretty dark"

I turned my head to find Ivan standing beside me, gazing up at the sky. Following his line of sight, I looked up, and oh boy, I can swear, just for a split second, it felt like I was ripped off from the surface of Earth as the greatest baseball pitcher had just thrown me—intending to make me the most magnificent strike of his damn life—causing me to drift through the entire universe and through chiliads of wormholes, which, after showing me the gazillionth alternate possibility, threw me back into the gloves of mother Earth as I found myself back at the same concrete I was standing on for a time that felt like aeons ago.

Yeah, I was safe. On Earth, yes. (I can say this because I heard someone arguing if gays have boobs or not. Clearly, those people were earthlings) I was not thrown by a pitcher. No, I was not a ball. I was a human, standing in front of my prep school as I should have been. Everything was normal and hopefully, I had not ingested any D-lysergic acid, which might have been manifested from one of my chemistry books (?) 'cus boy, I didn't like the taste of the open eyes hallucination I just had.

A sudden jab at my ribs snapped me out of this deviously freakish phantasmagoria. "Yorrell, you alright?"

I practically felt my pupils contract and focus as my vision returned, and I found three doofuses staring at me with a degree of curiosity that they never display in classes. "Huh?"

Stuvan carefully examined my face as he finally spoke, "He's alright, Aarav. Do not try your thing"

Frowning in confusion, I glanced at Aarav, who pouted like a child disappointed by a missed treat and quickly hid something that looked dangerously sharp. (It was a compass)

"...you know, though you are not an adult, you are quite close to being one and you could end up in jail for murder," I commented, eyeing Aarav suspiciously and maintaining a reasonable distance between us. "And why do my cheeks hurt?"

"Stuvan slapped you," Ivan said pointing towards Stuvan.

"You were creeping me out. Standing there like a statue with your pupil dilated like a dead cat" Stuvan shrugged.