Chapter XII: Right

Start from the beginning

"Oh," he said quietly. "Well, I already had lunch, and I must've looked like I was being stood up, so they gave me a free desert." He glanced down to a half-eaten piece of pie. I grabbed a fork and took a bite, instantly regretting my decision. I made a face and he laughed. "I know. It's gross."

"Let's ditch the nasty pie and go somewhere else," I suggested. I tapped the fork on the ceramic plate, thinking of where may be better than a run-down restaurant.

"How about the city?" Pete offered. "We can go and have some fun. I'll treat you to a real dinner and everything." He looked up hopefully at me. I had to admit, it sounded like a good time. I needed a day to relax and explore a little bit. And anyways, if I could get a free meal out of something, I was in.

I looked at his expression. He seemed so excited to have an adventure. "Yeah, okay," I said. "That would be lovely. Do you think we could stop by my house so I can get a bit of cash and tell my aunt where I'm going?"

Pete agreed and stood up, leaving a tip under his glass. I followed him out to his car and he drove me home, coming with me while I went up to my door.

"Hey," Frank called when I walked in. "Where were you?"

I found him sitting on the living room couch, Gerard close by, looking tense. "Oh, I went to lunch. Can you tell Aunt Linda that I'm going into Manhattan today, and I'll be home before curfew?"

Frank gestured to Pete. "With him?" His face showed doubt and distrust.

"Yeah, why?" I really wanted to go. Pete had promised he'd take me before, but the plans always fell through.

"Could you please give us a minute?" Frank asked Pete. Pete obliged and stepped out of the house. Gerard was still in the room, sitting stock-still. "Jessie, you're seventeen. I don't want you going there with someone on a date, all alone." His normally joyful eyes had filled with fire. I knew there wasn't any getting past that.

"It's not a date," I informed my cousin tersely. "And anyways, you're not my mother. You don't know what's best for me." I was feeling strong and rebellious. This was a simple thing to ask for, and I didn't need his permission.

"I know enough to know that he thinks it's a chance to get with you, Jess," Frank explained. "What would my mom say about it?"

Aunt Linda would probably say no, but that's because she didn't know Pete as well as she did my other friends. If it were them, I would have been allowed. "You're so bossy. I don't need your consent."

He called for his mom. Aunt Linda appeared out of seemingly nowhere--also known as her office--and inquired about the dilemma. Her response: absolutely not. I fought the urge to roll my eyes and counter back, but I instead went to tell Pete. He was upset but understanding. I saw his heart break in his expression but promised to go another time.

I knew sulking wouldn't do any good, so I went upstairs and read in order to get my mind off of things. The Red Pony by John Steinbeck. My favourite.

gerard
Our awkward encounter with Jessie and that boy that I met at their graduation revealed a defiant side of her that I've never seen, and it also left Frank fuming.

"How could she expect to be allowed to drive to the city--Manhattan of all places--and us be perfectly okay with it? I've met Pete once, twice maybe, so I hardly know him. Oh yeah, of course you can drive around with this guy! Why not hitchhike to Vegas and elope while you're at it?" He was making these hand gestures that curled and stiffened with rage as he talked. The frustration was apparent all over his face, his body; but to me, it seemed unwarranted.

I considered what he had said, though. Potentially dangerous cities and underage, irresponsible teenagers did not mix well. Jessie wasn't characteristically reckless, but when given the right circumstances, anyone could be. Still, I knew she was probably getting fed up little by little at her tight reign--one she probably put on herself.