Sling Shot Practice

I didn't talk to anyone for a week. The thought of having to leave my sister was unbearable. I couldn't even talk to 10k.

We had found a truck in the next town over that had half a tank of gas. The group kept silent as the truck rumbled down the road. 10k sat close but didn't bother me he knew how I felt and knew I wanted to be left alone. But I don't want to be alone. I want to be held tight as I cried and comforted by a soothing voice.

I worked up the courage to talk, "can you teach me how to use a slingshot?"
Everyone just looked at me with wide eyes. Immediately I regretted talking. It's like they have never heard me talk before. "Please" I whispered, making eye contact with 10k. He looked at me surprised for minute then nodded.

When we had to stop for a pee break, 10k took my hand and led me to the one side or the truck. As he handed me his slingshot, he brought his head beside mine. I smirked. I hadn't smiled since my sister was still alive. But being around him made everything seem better. "I want you to try and shoot that tree," he said stealthy while pointing at a disnt ant tee.

I raised both my arms to eye level and brought back the sling shot. As I aimed, I could feel his eyes burning into my skin. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I let go of the rubber band. The ball or gears and bolts flew through the air. It hit the base of the tree. "Hey! I hit it!" I cheered turning to 10k. He smiled at me and before he could say anything I jumped up and kissed him.

Realizing what I've just done, I jump back. "I-I'm so sorry," I frowned. He just looked at me. A moment of silence passed and I became very anxious. I turned to leave but he grabbed my arm.
"Please don't leave," he said still looking at me. Tears began to run down my face. "I'm sorry," I whispered. He pulled me into a hug as I began to sob.
"Don't be," he whispered as he held me tight and resting his head on mine.

My knees were so weak. He held me up just enough so I could still stand. "Your gonna be okay. I promise. I won't let them get you," he whispered. "Thank you," I whispered faintly.