Chapter 11: I'm Going to Get a Closer Look

Start from the beginning

I lean my head forward and rest against the back of the driver seat looking down at the floor, there's a bubble gum stuck to the flooring of the car.

I close my eyes.

" Did you get to see who it was?" Jones Kevin asks

" Yes" I reply

Silence.

" Who was it?" 

"Logan Godson," I reply

There was a pause before Jones Kevin asked again 

"The Logan Godson?"

Hearing the awe in Jones Kevin's voice over Logan Godson's name, put an even bigger dent in my chest.

"Yes, the Logan Godson," I reply

" Holy shit." Jones Kevin's eyes bug out 

-----------

I lay on top of my bedding and look up at the ceiling. Too many things are racing through my mind. 

Jones Kevin's business card sits on my nightstand it reads "Hello. I'm Kevin, Jones Kevin at your service. Wanna get there fast? I'm your guy." With a picture of a character in a suit holding a martini glass. 

Very sophisticated.

But I'm not sure if Jones Kevin thought this through. A taxi driver with a drink on his business card. 

Or maybe he did, a taxi driver who knows a good time?

He's a genius. 

I tug his business card safely away before reaching for my laptop. 

I think for a moment before typing " How to break a family curse" I laugh at myself at the absurdity of it. 

A lot of satanic rituals pop up on my search, I keep scrolling, keep clicking next. 

Nothing of value pop up. I place my laptop back down and think. I reach back for my laptop and type " Godson" in the search engine. The result spits out mostly their family company, how wealthy they are, their international relations, etc. I kept clicking next until an article title caught my eye " Tragedy strike the Godsons"

I click on the article and read on:

Sunday afternoon, police forces and an ambulance respond to a 911 call from The Godson's resident.  Abeila Godson's body, Gerald Godson's wife, was found in a bathtub with a self-inflicted wound to both her wrists. Who was pronounced deceased upon the arrival of medical staff. The body was found by her 8-year-old son, Griffin Godson, who dialed 911 and spoke with the dispatcher.

I clamp both my hands over my mouth in shock.

Holy shit.

 Abeila Godson committed suicide. Griffin found his mom's dead body at 8 years old. 

I stare at the screen. A picture of a little boy streaked with tears down his cheek in black shorts and a white shirt. In his tears ridden face, he's looking at the back of the ambulance, a younger looking Lisa holding his hand. 

oh my god.

With shaking hands, I continue. But nothing else pops up.

How is that possible? The Godson is practically royalty in this place, something like this would be plastered all over town with everyone trying to get the scope out of the story.

Unless......because of how powerful the Godsons are, they can buy the tabloids and hide the story.

I place both hands against my temple. Think, Elena, think!

Light bulb! I type in the search engine " John Melvic" my father's name. A bunch of irrelevant results pops up, I continuously click next, but nothing.

I put the laptop away and lay back down on my bed staring up at the ceiling. Why did Abeila Godson commit suicide? Did it have anything to do with the curse?

Griffin found his mom's dead body when he was only 8 years old. How do you compartmentalize that? Did he seek therapy afterward?

How does eight years old move on from it? 

I'm cold. Why am I so cold? I try to lift my hand to reach for my blanket, but my arms feel weak. I have no strength in them, I can hear someone sobbing. It's a tiny voice, but I hear it. Why can't I move? The sobbing continues, and my chest hurts. I try to open my eyes, but I have no strength.

"Mommy!" The tiny voice struggles in between sobs. My chest constricted at the sound. Oh god! Everything hurts!

I fight to stay awake, my heart cracking inside my chest as I hear the tiny voice continues to sob. " Mommy, Wake up!"

I'm trying baby, I'm trying!

I lost the fight, my mind drifted into an abyss.

I'm jolted awake with cold sweats. Startled, I sat up and look around my bedroom. No one is in here, I'm alone. I'm ok.

I rubbed my hand over my face, I slowly got up and walk to my bathroom. 

I look at myself in the mirror, I look like a mess. What was that?

I knew what it was. I shake my head at my reflection in the mirror, daring myself not to think about it.

I was Abeila Godson in my dream. With Griffin crying over his dead mommy's corpse.

I threw up in the sink.