𝚃𝚊𝚙𝚎 𝟷, 𝚂𝚒𝚍𝚎 𝙱

Start bij het begin

"How early do we have to get up?" Grace questions quickly. She values her sleep more than anything, it's her favourite part of her day.

"Yeah, how early did you have to get up? Yesterday?" Clay adds on jokingly. Matt smiles in his seat discreetly.

"We won't do the full spread everyday, but it's nice to start off right. So, how did your project end up last night, Clay? With Tony?" Lainie asks.

"Fine."

"For history, right?"

"Yeah, it's, um, it's this oral history project, about like, students who came before us and stuff." He lies before narrowing his eyes in a glare when he finds his Aderall prescription on the table in front of him.

Their parent's had got Clay on medication for his anxiety. They never really bothered for Grace because she always tried to act as if everything was perfectly fine, even when she wasn't most days. She feels like she's slowly drowning.

"I'm going to leave for school." Grace announces before grabbing her back and walking out of the door, leaving everyone else to argue.

"See, I can guarantee that one of the reasons your still listening is that you really want to know... who are the others? Who else is responsible for my death? Well, you're going to learn soon enough. And, of course, they're going to learn about you, too. If they haven't already. What? Feeling paranoid? On edge? Yeah. High school does that to a person. You never really know who you can trust. And who you can't. So keep your wits about you. It's all part of the game. But remember, it's not a game. Not at all."

***

Clay let Grace know that he tried to find Justin in gym class to find out about his tape, but he couldn't find him. Grace was genuinely concerned for the boy, she could tell that the stress was getting too much for him, but she didn't know how to help him.

The twins enter their English class and sit down in their assigned seats which were coincidentally next to each other.

A few minutes go before the teacher starts the lesson, Justin's girlfriend, Jessica Davis, struts into their class angrily and rushes up to Zach and Marcus, two of Justin's friends.

"Okay, enough small talk. It's time to meet the star of Tape one, Side B. So, without further ado, let me introduce my former friend. Step up, Jessica Davis. You're next."

"Hey. Where the hell is Justin?" She demands the answer off of both boys, who stare at her with open mouths, trying to find a good excuse.

Grace and Jessica have never got along. She didn't know what it was, but Grace was sure that Jessica has always hated her, even before Justin and Jess even started dating. Maybe it was because of her friendship with Hannah, or her crush on her boyfriend that was kind of obvious to everyone apart from the boy, but it was clear that Jessica had it out for Grace. Which was fine, because Grace always disliked Jessica too.

"I don't know, Jess." Zach sighs tiredly.

"You don't know?"

"He's probably just skipping first, sleeping in." Zach responds uneasily. He looks at Marcus for help, but the dark skinned boy looks away.

"Coward." Grace thinks.

"Did he ride with you guys today?" She questions snappily. When Zach shakes his head, she becomes even more impatient. "So, where is he? Did you see him last night?"