"I... That's not what I..."

"Jay, you're my brother," he leaned closer, hand ruffling his hair in his characteristic affectionate gesture, "I can't even think of neglecting you for anyone else. And I feel the same towards Tim. Both of you are equally important to me."

Jays cheeks flushed from embarrassment, "oh... I've been so stupid..."

"Of course not. You've reacted how anyone else would in your place," he smiled gently, "but you should keep in mind that nothing of what you were thinking about would happen. First and foremost, I can't adopt Tim since he already has a family. And even if I could take him in, that wouldn't change anything between us."

"Yeah... You're right," he nodded.

"So don't ever get insecure like that, okay? And tell me whenever something bothers you instead of overthinking and troubling yourself," a warm smile graced his lips as he ruffled his head again, "we're family, remember, and families stick together. No matter what happens."

***

A sinister group of people were sitting around a huge oval table, the light dim in the hall though illuminating the white owl masks covering their faces. They were all dressed in dark robes and a mysterious aura radiated around them, indicating that they belonged to some purpose far beyond understanding of the average citizens of Gotham.

The chair at the head of the table was larger than the rest and the person seated on it was closely observing the rest of the members. His jewel-encrusted hands rested on the sides of the chair as he judged whether all of the members had arrived yet or not.

The door parted and in stepped the last member, a graceful figure dressed in the same dark robe and white mask who came up to the table and took the empty chair on the right of the Head's chair.

Dark piercing irises swept over every other person present before resting upon the occupant of the High Chair.

By her demeanor, it was clear that she was irked about something and would definitely let them know after that meeting would be adjourned.

"I trust you all know the reason why you all are gathered here," the man's deep voice resonated through the room, "we have a situation on our hands that must be dealt with swiftly."

The woman stiffened in her seat but it was unnoticeable to the rest of the members who were facing the Head of the Court at the moment. She knew that situation the Court was going to deal with was Richard Grayson and she was thinking of a way to put a stop to it.

It would have been so much easier if she were the Head of the Court as she was supposed to be. But that title was in someone else's position at the moment so she would have to work out an alternative.

She had been cautiously waiting for the time she would take her rightful title from the current Head but for the time being, she had to stick to her plan and wait for the right time to strike. But if things got out of hand, she would have to react a bit sooner than initially planned.

"He has been causing a lot of trouble and it is about time to put a stop to it," the Head resumed, "the only reason we hadn't killed him yet was that he was meant to be a Talon, instead he chose an entirely opposite path which can put all of us in danger. So I believe it is better to rid of him before any such threat surfaces."

There were murmurs among the members as they were silently discussing among themselves. The only two people who were silent by then were the Head and the woman seated to his right.

"Those in favor of terminating the Gray Son," the Head began to take a vote and some hands were tapped on the table in agreement. "Those against," he added and that once no one dared to tap on the table except for the woman who put her hand down on the table, creating a rather fierce sound in the silence all around and then stood up herself.

Along with her, all those who hadn't tapped on the table earlier stood up as well.

"What is the meaning of this?" The Head's eyes flashed in anger as he noticed that those against him were more compared to those in favor of his decision.

And the outrageous aspect was that they were siding with a woman who had not been a member of the Court for even half of his time holding the title of the Head.

"You will not lay a hand on him," her voice was steady as she spoke up, "I had thought the last time you had sent your Talons after him had given you a valid reason to stay away."

The Head stood up as well, deep voice threatening, "so you are doubting my judgment and going against what I have decided?"

"Yes," she replied, "because your judgment is wrong. You have kept steering the Court for your own gain but it is about time to put a stop to you too."

He leaned closer, hand reaching out to grab her by the throat but before that could happen she had brandished her dagger at him, the white owl engraved on the handle flashing in the dim light.

He was shocked to see that dagger and stumbled back. That dagger was specially forged to be used by the Head of the Court of Owls yet he had never been able to acquire it as he had taken over the title illegally.

And that meant the woman holding that dagger was indefinitely the rightful head to the Court and if he dared go against her, he would be in trouble, not the other way round.

"Who are you?"

She laughed in derision, the sharp sound of it piercing through them all, "who I am is none of your concern though who you are is quite amusing to me."

His face paled but was concealed by the white mask, "what...?"

 "You have only two options, Mister March," the dagger was threateningly close to his throat as she resumed, dark eyes seemed to pierce through the mask covering his features, "either you withdraw your decision of pursuing the Gray Son and retain your title and position in the court. Or you keep going against my warning and suffer the consequences. Both your membership and position from the Court will be confiscated as a result."

He seemed to be in shock for no word escaped from his deep voice as he stared at her helplessly though deep down he was burning in rage.

"You have time till the next meeting to decide. Pray choose wisely for you have been a very important member of the Court and none of us would want to see you go," she remarked breezily, leaving her seat and stepping back from the table, the dagger vanishing in her robes, "the meeting is adjourned."

***