"I'm marrying Lydia, and now you know." I asnwered back coldly.

"I think you misunderstood your mother's suggestion that you marry. We wanted someone who would help this family, not destroy it. Someone like Verena." 

"You think Lydia is destroying this family?" I scoffed. "Not the fact that you were in the Circle?"

"You know?" my father asked, as if it were a surprise. I was bound to know one day.

"What did you think, I'd never find out? All these years, you never said anything." I spoke to him with disbelief. I couldn't believe he wouldn't say anything.

"We couldn't."

"Is that the best you can do?" I snapped, glaring. "You drilled into me that I was never good enough. Then i found someone who made me believe otherwise. And now...she's probably fighting for her life!"

"It wasn't that." My father shook his head, disregarding what i said about Verena. "We wanted you to be better than we were."

"You wanted to sweep history under the rug. You wanted us to save you, restore the Lightwood name." I sneered, and my father sighed.

"Alec, you're making a mistake."

"No, i'm gonna fix what you broke. And i'm gonna do it on my terms." Just as i was about to walk away, the lights flickered and the whole building shook. People began scattering, trying to find out what was wrong, but a nurse ran from the Infirmary.

"Sir!" She cried, tugging my arm. I frowned, looked to my father before ultimately deciding to jog after the nurse.

Once i got into the Infirmary, a bright smile came onto my face.

There she was. She was unconcious, but she was trying. She was trying to come home.

I knew. And i was ready.

She was floating. As if she were in a room full of water. Her legs slightly dropped, as did her arms. Her wings were back.

They were bigger, and they were white with faded bits of red. Almost like a bloodstain.

"I'm going home." She yelled out to someone, no one in the institute. Her body screamed loudly and high-pitched, the lights flickering more than they were, before she floated upright, as if she were standing. She faced towards me, her eyes still closed.

"Come on, baby. Come back." I muttered, chewing on the end of my thumb nervously. This had to be it.

And i knew it was when her eyes snapped open, bright then before.

I have a hunch something had changed. She was stronger.

Her floating body slowly came back to the ground, and when it did i was there to catch her.

"Alec?" She whispered, and i smiled.

"Hey. Miss me?" I asked, and she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck. She nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck and i hugged her back just as tightly.

"So much." I heard Verena mumble. "I met my dad, Alec."

"You met-"