Nightmare

NIGHTMARE

Misty smoke emits from an incense burner shaped like a 9-petal lotus. Filling The Fragrant palace with a spicy floral scent. A circular fog hangs about the golden silk bed. Intoxicating those who are lying beneath. Jin Ling and Lan Sizhui are completely intertwined sleeping soundlessly in The Fragrant Palace.

The misty strip of smoky snakes downwards making sure to intoxicate both cultivators. A thin coat of sweat lines Jin Lings forehead; While a frown stretches across his pale face. In the depths of his mind, his pleasant dream in a field of white furballs and his beloved Sizhui, surround him giving warm smiles and a comforting embrace

"Jin baobei"

Looking dismissively at Han GuangJuns rabbits pile onto one another; he hums in reply, "Hm?" A tuff of white climbs up Jin Lings robes sticking its pink nose in his sleeve. Jin Ling smiles warmly at the rabbit as it climbs up his sleeve. Its soft fur tickles his arms.

"... I dont feel so good. A-Ling, it hurts!" Jin Ling spins his head in Sizhuis direction only to see his lovers limbs detached from his body, Helplessly hanging on a tree.

Jin Lings face turns as pale as he sees Sizhuis bloody limbs hung up high. His crimson blood drops on the grass like rain. 'Plop. Plop. Plop.' The rabbits are stained red with Sizhui's blood.

"I- I cant see you anymore! Where did you go?!" Sizhuis forehead is pierced by Suihua pinning his decapitated head to a tree trunk.

'Lan gege!' Is what Jin Ling wanted to yell; Yell out to his deeply wounded lover. But he can't choke out a single word- Let alone any sound. He was standing in the field before his body fell to the ground.

As he regained consciousness, his hands gripped Suihua and a trail of blood trickled down the corner of his mouth. He screamed and jumped back tripping over his feet. He killed Sizhui.

"Lan gege!"

Deafening screeches came from the rabbits as they levitated into the air. Their small bodies hung mid-air until they started to turn. Like someone was ringing out a wet rag, their bones cracking and screams were the last thing Jin Ling heard until he passed out.

"Boabei, Please wake up! Its just a dream!"

Sizhui held Jin Ling in his arms engulfing him in a warm embrace. Tears were spilling out the corners of Jin Lings eyes and he was trembling. Sizhui honestly didnt know what to do. He had tried multiple times to wake the other up but to no avail.

Sitting helplessly on the blood-stained grass Jin Ling held onto his arms digging his nails deep into his skin. He lifted his head and look at the lifeless head of his lover; And his sword that pins him up. Jin Ling roughly arose, glaring at Suihua, and walked towards the tree trunk. He grasped the sword and pulled it out releasing Sizhuis head. Before he hit the ground Jin Ling gently caught him and held him in his arms; and set him down on a soft patch of grass. Jin Ling turned back to his sword with hatred. After all, it was Suihua that took Lan SIzhuis life.

Jin Ling snapped Suihua in two with his bare hands. His hands were bloody and he was on the verge of fainting. But he needed to hold Sizhui before he even thought of losing consciousness.

Jin Ling bent down to Sizhuis head and picked him up. He sat on the grass cuddling his lovers remains. Crying like there was no tomorrow. Because there wasnt. There is no point in living without the person who made him, well, him! Not even Lanling could make him rethink living. Sizhui accepted him for who he was. He found beauty in all his flaws.

Sizhui loved Jin Ling; Jin Ling Loved Sizhui.

He could help Sizhui. He could live in a small cottage in the mountains as Sizhui wanted. He wouldnt call that idea stupid anymore! He would! He really would! ... Im so sorry I didnt mean to! Dont worry Its just a scratch! I can get the best doctor in Lanling; he can heal you! Its not that bad, trust me...

And like you wanted. We could raise some of Han GuangJuns rabbits and plant a whole garden of radishes if youd like! All the things you wanted to do when we grew older, Ill do! I wont make fun of your ideas anymore, I swear! Just, please Please wake up!

Jin Ling let out all the thoughts and words he should have a long time ago. But now its too late. Lan Sizhuis dead. His Sizhui is dead. And he will never come back.

Warm. He felt warm. Jin Ling buried his face deeper into the warmth-loving the strong scent of Vanilla and sandalwood it gave off. It smelled like Suizhui. But wasnt he Dead?

Jin Ling lifted his head out of Sizhuis night robes and looked him straight in the eye. He jumped away from Sizhui startling the other boy. Sizhui. Sizhui is alive? Didnt I kill him? Why is he here? Is that really him, or am I dreaming? Please dont be a dream.

BaoBao, whats wrong? Did you have a bad dream? Sizhui reached out an arm to grasp Jin Lings hand, but Jin Ling flinched and jumped farther away.

Are you real? But But you died Who are you?! And why are you pretending to be my Sizhui!?

He pulled back his hand alarmed by this accusation. Just what did Jin Ling dream about?

Sizhui smiled warmly, I really am Lan Sizhui, your sizhui. What must this cultivator do to prove that I am truly your(s?) Sizhui.

Jin Lings eyes widened as he saw the others smile, this really is Sizhui. He crawled back up the bed again and jumped into Sizhuis arms.

"... Sizhui" Jin Ling held onto Sizhui tightly burying his face into his chest. "You died...! What would I do without you?! I really can't live without you Anything you want me to do I'll do it! Just please never leave me again"

Jin Ling, "... I can't take it"

"Don't worry, I'll never hurt you, A-Ling. I'd be just as miserable without you; As you without me." Sizhui embraced Jin Ling drowning in Jin Ling's citrusy scent. He could never leave Jin Ling, never.

Jin Ling lowered his voice to a whisper, "I I love you, A-Yuan." he turned beet red and hid his face from the other boy.

"I love you too, A-Ling," Sizhui smiled warmly, "more than you could ever imagine."

Both of them neglected their duties for that day and layed in bed with each other instead. Of course, both of them got scolded. The elders of the Lanling Jin Sect yelled at their sect leader. And Han HuangJun gave Sizhui a punishment. He had to stay away from Lanling for a week.

Jin Ling scrambled to find a piece of parchment in The Blooming Garden. Once he found one he sat down and wrote hastily.

"To my love, Sizhui,

You Idiot! If you hadn't stayed with me that night you wouldn't have been stuck in Gusu. Now look at what you've done Dumbass! You can't come to Lanling for a week! You might as well stay in Gusu for a year! Yeah go do that: Don't even think about coming back! 

Yours truly,
Jin Ling"

Sizhui read every word with fondness. After completely reading the letter mutiple times; He set the letter in a drawer with a pile of others plated in gold with the crest of the Lanling Jin Sect.

Jingyi, "SIZHUI! TIME FOR THE DAILY LESSONS! COME, COME!"

Sizhui, "Yelling is forbidden in the cloud recesses, please lower your voice, Jingyi."

"Yeah, sure, sure. Anyways, lets go!"

They both walked off to the classrooms to start the daily readings.

--end

Written July 12, 2021 by your favorite author, SHIZUNLOVEME