Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

She cut her gaze towards Rhysand, "And you are the High Lord who wrote us many times, with such interesting information."

I fought against raising my brow, wondering what it was my clever mate used to persuade these clearly prejudiced women to deign to speak with us.

"I am," Rhysand said. "And this is my cousin, Morrigan." Mor strode forward, encompassed in grace and power. The mortal queens brows rose, clearly connecting her name to her history in the War.

With introductions out of the way, we settled into the chairs that were laid out with strategic distance.

The golden-haired queen smoothed out her fine gown and said, "An emissary wears a golden crown. Is that tradition in the Fae lands?"

I allowed a slight smirk to grace my lips. "No," I smoothly replied, "But I certainly look good in one, so who can resist?"

The slight quirking of her lips confirmed my initial thoughts towards this queen. We were kindred spirits. Perhaps not allies, but maybe. She mused, "A human, standing next to not only a High Lord, but this High Lord, in a place of honor and a golden crown. Interesting."

"As is my life's goal to be," I replied dryly. Rhysand's amusement danced down our bond and it was only due to my decade as an assassin that I didn't crack a smile.

The eldest queen snapped out, "You have an hour of our time. Make it count."

I locked eyes with Rhys, who nodded at me imperceptibly. "We called you here to share valuable information, to warn you. War is coming. War the likes of which this realm has never seen." Visions of a bedspread soaked in red, of the creature from the castle library danced in my head. "And to request a form of aid to protect not only the Fae, but the humans who reside in these lands."

The queen was unshaken. "We know war is coming," she said. "We have been preparing for it for many years."

At that I raised my brow, "Yet the humans in this territory seem unaware." It wasn't a question.

One of the middle aged queens finally spoke. "This territory," she explained, "Is but a small fraction compared to the vastness of the continent. It is not prudent to defend it, it would be a waste of resources."

Anger, hot and fiery, burned low in my gut. I could feel the revulsion and hours coursing down the bond from Rhys as well. I chanced a glance at the golden queen, who was both disgusted and defeated.

Rhys drawled, "I am sure that the loss of even one innocent live is abhorrent."

The eldest queen was unmoved as she said, "Yes. But this is war. Sacrifices must be made."

"So you would abandon your people, without even an attempt?" Fury and shame battled for dominance as I questioned the queens, feeling the horrid similarities to my own treatment of Terrasen citizens. Rhys gently stroked at the walls of fire protecting her mind, which no longer burned him. You were a child. You were not to blame, my goddess.

The eldest queen parried back sweetly, "If the High Fae are so concerned, let them defend this territory."

The room pulsed with silence.

Mor spoke up, having been observing the interactions closely, "For all that you hate our kind, you'd leave us to defend your own people?"

The other middle aged queen snorted. "Shouldn't they?" she asked. "Should the blood of your kind not be spilled for your crimes over the years?"

"Neither side is innocent," Rhys countered smoothly, with more grace than I could afford at this moment. "Together, we have the best chance to protect those who are. Isn't that at least worth an attempt?"