Chapter 5

(Petar)
Petar lay in the gloom of the dungeon, his hair and clothes askew. He was tired and hungry, for he hadn't eaten in four days. He was surprised that he was still alive. There wasn't a day that went by that he did not think of his beloved sister and Isobel, his wife of three months. He terribly wished that he could get home to them both to make sure that they were okay, but he knew that today that wasn't an option.
"Well! Gracious heavens you look terrible! Poor baby!" It was the Queen. In all the four days that Petar had been in the dungeon she had only spoken two sentences to him: "Tomorrow you will die," and "Hello, my Prince." The first one, telling him that he would die, had disturbed him for the first two days.
Petar's face and body were visibally bruised, scraped, and bloody. He had been tortured for what he thought had been a rebellious attitude. However, the Queen had a different idea.
"My dear Petar. I am sure you don't remember me, for you were very young when we first met. However, we did meet. Long ago, before I was queen of this land, and before your beloved sister was born, I met your mother. She was always very nice to me. We met on the street during Festum A Quercus- Arbor (Latin for 'The Festival of the Oak-Tree). When I was young, my parents deserted me and my baby brother. I tried to get a job, but no one would accept a poor orphan girl, whom no one cared for or knew. At the festival I was shyly calling out, 'Get your fresh milk,cheese, and cream. They're the best in the land.' No one listened to me, for there were more experienced sellers at the festival. I decided to drop the price an offer free samples. Within a few hours business picked up and I was able to sell much more of my goods. The people loved it. You see, the festival lasted for a whole week, and all that week I boomed. I was so packed that the Royal family had heard about me and come all the way form the royal palace to see what I was selling. That was when it happened.
The last day of the festival, the Royal family arrived. With them they broght the Royal guard. When they came by my booth, I shouted loudly, and to my dismay , they stopped. The King and Queen stepped out of the carraige. I suddenly felt more self consious than ever. The King called for his men to stay back. He bent down to my level and said,'What is your name, my lovely child?'
'Jariacalay Michelle McLandos', I answered quietly. I had never liked my name.
'Well, Miss Jaria, you are a very lucky girl. Would you like to come live with us in the Great Palace?' the King had asked. I had nodded meekly, but turned red immedatly afterwards. 'Let there be no more questions! This young Princess will be hereby adopted by me and my royal family!' No more questions were asked. I was placed in the very front of th Royal carriage and whisked away to a new life. As we pulled away, I saw all of the towns-folks rush to my stand and grab all of the money and food that had been left, but I didn't care. I was too shocked to notice.
I lived with the Royal family and called them my own. They loved me and I loved them. Life was happy, and your mother and I had our "SISTER" spouts."
Petar wondered what this had to do with him, but his questions were soon answered.
"Are you listening to me, Petar?"
"Yes, but I don't understand what this has to do with me or my family!"
"WATCH YOUR TONE WITH ME! FORGET ONCE MORE AND YOU WILL DIE NOW! You are still my prisioner and you will RESPECT me! Your mother was the Princess that I called sister!"
As the Queen finished her sentence, Petar felt sharp pain in his head as an image flashed in his mind. He was young, very young. His mother was taking him to swim in the stream. They were splashing and having the time of their lives when suddenly a figure, no a woman, stepped out from behind the trees.
"Hello Clara. Oh, don't be alarmed. I haven't come for the boy. He may live. You will pay!"
The vision ended, and Petar found himself on the floor of the dungeon, alone and gasping for air. The air was swirling with dust as if someone had set off a small tornado. After being conscious for only a few minuets, Petar collapsed and fell into a deep sleep, from which he would never wake.