Whispers

I was sprinting down the dimmed hallway turning a few sharp corners. My name is Damian and I honestly don't know why I'm running, but I am. There was a girl standing in my doorway this past night. She giggled and ran. So here I am running around my grandfather's creepy old mansion following a guiltless giggle that seemed to echo off the walls making it unclear of where the beautiful girl was last. Not only that, but his house was always so dark, I don't know why it was, it just was. After what felt like hours of running I retired to my room, in which I figured out I was only out for twenty some minutes.

The next morning after waking up and dragging myself out of bed, I went to ask my grandfather about who this mysterious female was, all he told was her name and that she was the daughter of the family that previously lived in the house years before my grandfather bought it, which in fact was YEARS ago.

I went through the house inspecting it until night started to fall. I escaped the ticking clocks and the eerie atmosphere by going into my room and slightly closing my door. That's when I heard that all too familiar chortle. I got up and stood in the middle of the hallway looking to the right of the hallway, then to the left. She was like a bright moon peaking threw a dark clouded night sky. She was the definition of perfect. I stared at her for no longer then a moment more before taking a step forward. I have to know why she's here. Just as my heel touched the ground she whipped back around running down the hallway with giggles filling the air. I let out an airy chuckle as I chased after her, once I turned the corner on my left... she was gone. I sighed as I sulked, returning back to my berth once again. It's happened on and off for these past few weeks but a week has passed since the last time I've noticed her presence. I just want to see her one more time... maybe that one more time will be tonight.

After dinner I excused myself from the table eagerly and went up to my room grabbing a book from the bookcase next to the door and with the book in my grasp I plopped down on my bed, slightly bouncing up and down for a second or two after. I chuckled as I looked out the window that was located across from my wardrobe noticing that it was pitch black outside. Which means I must have been reading for a few hours now. Time really flies when you get into a good book, it's almost as if the book holds your hands in place as if it's forcing you to skim your eyes over the inked words in a smooth motion. Just as I was about to continue reading my novel that has somehow tied me down to read it I saw a shadow out of the corner of my eye. I looked at my door that was slightly ajar. It must be her. I got up and in doing so I dropped my book with a thud as it slammed against the hard ground. I rushed to the door opening it slowly with a long and unwanted creak following with it.

I saw her there again, standing at the end of the hallway. Long black hair, beautiful as ever, streaked with moonlight, eyes dark pools in her porcelain face. She wore her favourite red dress, like a crimson sunset. Like a streak of blood in the waning light. She faintly waved as she strode down the hallway with such elegance. She stopped mid step and turned her head slightly as she spoke over her shoulder. She whispered something I didn't quite fully understand "Damian, you remind me so much of him, thank you". She turned her head forward and before her foot even touched the cold wood floor she was gone.

I woke up the next morning not really remembering anything of the past few weeks. It seemed like my brain had an absence in it, the only thing in the deep hole that once lived the girl with black hair was a name, one unfamiliar to the young boy sitting in the warm bed with his head in his hands. Natalia.