File #[REDACTED]: Celeste

It started from an offhand comment that probably wasn't supposed to be taken seriously, but when it came to Celeste, Lincoln couldn't easily dismiss it. To be fair, he had been the one to bring it up first, but the moment the words came out of his mouth, he regretted it.

"Do you ever wonder about your past, Celeste?"

She had paused in contemplation for a few seconds before answering, "Sometimes."

There hadn't been much thought in her answer, nor any real emotion, but Lincoln couldn't stop thinking about it.

So, he did what was to be expected:

Gather information.

And he succeeded.

While Celeste was fast asleep for the night, Lincoln sat in the living room with a file in his hands—the file that contained all the information concerning Celeste and her past within the foster system.

His first attempt at a background check when she arrived resulted in basically nothing. However, now that she trusted him and was more willing to provide what limited information she had, the search became easier.

Even if it still resulted in a fairly thin file.

After a quick glance over his shoulder to confirm that their bedroom door was closed, Lincoln flipped open the file and read through the pages.