A mischievous glint filled Artemis's eyes. "And what a pity that would be," she said sarcastically, giving Sirius a gloating look. "Ahhh, I get the feeling this is going to be the best month of my life. Anyways, I'm out of here. Later!"

~

James, Peter, and Sirius not being able to talk got old way faster than Artemis was expecting. She kept waiting for James to crack jokes way too loudly in the library or for Sirius to make some offhand sarcastic comment in response to anything Artemis said or for Peter to softly ask her questions about his homework, but it never happened. The Monday after the boys began their month of silence, their first class was Transfiguration.

"The vanishing spell is one of the most complicated spells you will be asked to perform when you take your OWLs next year," said Professor McGonagall from the front of the classroom. "It's powerful and can be dangerous if used on the wrong items or even people. Whatever you vanish will go into a state of non-being. Potter, can you explain that state to me?"

Artemis's head jerked up and she looked at James expectantly. They'd discussed in depth how the boys would get around being asked questions in class, but it was the first time their plan was being put to the test. James calmly turned to a fresh page in his notebook and scribbled out a message, which he held up for McGonagall to see. "Non-being - the vanished object will simply cease to exist in our physical world. It will no longer be tangible."

McGonagall took a step closer to read the words and then frowned. "Potter, would you care to explain to the class using your words what the state of non-being entails?"

James bent over his notebook again, flipped to a page with a pre-written note on it, and then held it up again. "My friends Sirius and Peter and I are protesting the current silencing of the gargoyles many witches and wizards use as guards for their homes and institutions. It is our belief that unionization is necessary for these creatures and due to this belief, we will be taking the next month to silently protest the misuse of such sacred creatures. Sorry for any inconvenience."

"That-" McGonagall sputtered, "-is a ridiculous cause to protest." James shrugged helplessly. "I do hope you realize that the gargoyles are in fact suffering no mistreatment, as they are not fully emotionally capable beings."

James raised his eyebrows and wrote out another note. "That's what you think. Ever bothered to talk to one, Professor?"

McGonagall seemed to be trying not to laugh. "No, Potter, I don't make it a habit to address statues as I would real people. I can see that you're not going to be dissuaded from this behavior, though I hope you'll consider more worthwhile causes in the future." She went back to the front of the room and continued the lesson as if no interruption had been made. James turned to Artemis and Remus sitting side by side in the row behind them and flashed them a thumbs-up.

~

It was a new semester, and the Divination teacher, Professor Maundry, was assigning the class new partners. Artemis didn't buy the concept of Divination, but she'd gotten through the last semester by partnering up with Marlene, who was just as cynical as she was. Now, she worried about who she would be partnered with next. "In the name of house solidarity," Maundry said cheerfully from the front of the room, "I have decided that your next partners will be assigned by opposing houses. Yes, this means every Gryffindor will be paired with a Slytherin. Over the next few months, you will learn to overcome your differences in the spirit of predicting the future all of us will endure as a common group of witches and wizards- the human race, if you will."

"Sweet Merlin," Marlene muttered, leaning back in her seat and twirling a lock of hair in her fingers. "This class is about to get about a million times worse."