Chapter 1

5,700 children turn into an orphan every day but history won't remember a single one.

God, why was it so cold in this damn classroom?

Adora hugged herself slightly as she half listened to her professor. Something about how they would be collaborating with another class for a project.

Fuck, she should definitely listen.

"--jects will have an great impact on your notes. So I advise you to put all your effort in. From now on, every time you have this class, we will instead be in room 220-4. One of our libraries. There you can use the time to work on your projects, though I advise you to also meet up with your partner outside of class. Me and Mrs. Johnson have already chosen your partners, so don't even try." Loud groans and sighs have erupted by the students. The Professor cleaned their throat loudly, and everything was quiet again. "With names at the very beginning it would be way too confusing," they continued. "So I will give you your numbers and you will find your partner through that. Understood? When you find your partner, you can catch up with each other a bit if you do not know each other, but I expect you to start working sooner or later." A few grunts of acknowledgement seemed to satisfy the only person with authority in this room. "Great, we will go to 220-4 now. I expect best and quiet behavior, the other students are working. Line up in two, follow me." What were they, elementary school kids? Everyone stood up, surprisingly quie- nevermind, it got as loud as wild kindergarden kids in a matter of a milisecond. The blonde silently went to the very back of everyone, oh how she hated barely knowing anyone in the medicine department of this school.

Everyone got their number before they started walking. 21. She just had to find someone with the number 21.

Adora fiddled with her hands until they were there. Then practically hell broke out.
It was so god damn loud.. so she slipped away.
That 21 Person would eventually find her, right? It's not like she left the library, she just wasn't in the middle of chaos.

But it seems like someone else had the same idea.

The blonde was so busy with herself, that she did not notice the person coming at her on a rapid speed.
A loud thud as they bumped into each other erupted, both falling against the shelf because of the impact, causing for several big books to fall out. Adora didn't think and her whole body went on autopilot, she grabbed the other unknown person and turned herself against the shelf, protecting them. The person seemed to protest at first, trying to get away. But Adora was strong, so they accepted it after just a moment, silently holding still while Adora held them in a protective manner.

The girl didn't make any more noise, even though there were literally books falling on her back. After a few moments she slowly loosened her grip. The still unknown person didn't make a move to leave, instead they suddenly stared up at Adora and she was confronted by the most unique (and.. oddly familiar) eyes she has ever seen.

And suddenly it hit her like a truck.

"It doesn't matter what she does to us, y'know?"
"Huh?"
"You look out for me, and I look out for you. Nothing really bad can happen, as long as we have each other!"
"..You promise?"
"I promise."

This was, without a doubt, Catra.
But it didn't seem like the other recognized her.

"Well, my very clumsy shining knight in honor. May I know your number?"