Chapter 16 - Enter Emma

Start from the beginning

Mitch follows my gaze. When she sees him she lets out a moan before starting to hit her head on her desk repeatedly.

The old man walks over, "Ashley? Are you alright?"

She lifts her head up, a fake smile plastered across her face, her forehead slowly turning red from its bashing up, "Oh, it's nothing Mr Krill. I'm just so happy to have you as my sub."

He smiles kindly at her, "There's a good girl." He says before shuffling back to his desk up the front, "Now folks, could we all settle down?"

The noise level goes down a bit as if a dial's been twisted and he starts to take attendance.

"Mr Krill?" I whisper to Mitch, "As in 68 year old, Ancient History rave party, always calls you Ashley,  Mr Krill?"

Mitch twirls her finger in response, silently mouthing, "Woohoo...."

I laugh and turn towards the front of the class as our sub finishes attendance.

"Well folks." Mr Krill begins, "Your teacher Mr Hench is unfortunately ill today and I'll be taking his class for him. He starts to rummage through his books, "He left a note somewhere..." he mutters to himself.

Everyone starts to talk to each other again but is soon interrupted when he starts waving a green slip in the air, "I've found it! Now folks, let's read what it says."

He squints at the piece of paper for a while before looking up, "All it says is to read page 45-60 on Global Warming and answer the questions on page 62-63."

Groans erupt throughout the room as people start to flick through their books to see just how much work we've been given.

Mitch pushes her desk up against mine, blocking our isle off and looks dully at me, "We might as well get started then."

"Ashley," Mr Krill calls, "Please move your table back to its place. I'll be going through a couple of pages with you first and I want you all to take down some notes."

'Ashley' glares at the back of his head and moves back to her place as he starts to write on the whiteboard with a squeaky marker.

He underlines the words Global Warming and turns around again, "Now folks, what do we know about Global Warming?"

I can practically hear the snores erupting throughout the room already.

A boy with some pretty cool glasses at the front of the class puts his hand up, "It's the accumulation of Carbon Dioxide in our atmosphere?"

Mr Krill nods, "That sounds about correct... Let's just say it is. Anyone else have any ideas on what Global Warming does?"