Chapter Three: Unexpected Visits

• Dedicated to Lori Schmeltzer

Chapter Three

            Moonblood remained at the center of the cave in this relaxed position as many of his elf servants passed by. At some point, one of the elves shakily walked up to Moonblood and bowed.

            “My name is Rosson,” the elf began, “there is a young dragon outside the cave that wishes to speak with you.”

            Moonblood nodded to Rosson and slipped his helmet and tail armor on in case things turned ugly and they began to fight. Then, as the elf rushed away, his dragon master walked out of the cave to meet their visitor. Rosson wasn’t joking either. In front of Moonblood was a very young, blue dragon of the element of chaos that was less than half his size.

            The female dragon bowed politely and got into a slight defensive stance at seeing Moonblood’s armor. Nevertheless, she began to give him a message; “Moonblood, as you must know, you are one of the six dragons that could become king of chaos. My father, the current king of chaos, requests that you meet with him and your future opponents when you reach the age of six moons.

            “You are allowed to bring any servants, gold, and armor you desire to this meeting in case the situation changes into some sort of fight. At this meeting, you will be given any information that you need about the upcoming tournament. If you do not attend, you will be disqualified from the contest.”

            With one last bow, the strange dragon took off into the air and headed in the direction of the kingdom of chaos. Moonblood shook his head lightly before turning back into the cave and settled back down in his original position on the cave floor.

            He turned his head and saw all twenty of his elf servants standing behind him curiously. He rolled his eyes as he realized they had overheard the conversation.

            “Which of us will be accompanying you on your journey to the dragon kingdom of chaos?” one of the elves asked curiously.

            Moonblood thought for a moment before replying, “Tawon and the five of you that are most skilled at fighting. I will not bring any gold but I will bring all of my armor that has been completed by then.”

            Tawon and five others stepped forward and bowed low to him. Elves were always so organized!

            “We will leave tomorrow at dawn,” Moonblood told them. All of the elves gazed at him with confused faces.

            “It’s a very long flight there, especially with six elves on my back and armor on me,” the mighty dragon explained.

            Tawon and the others nodded before hurrying away and getting ready for the trip. Moonblood just lay down and gazed through the forest as the bright orange hue of the sky turnd into a dark purple and eventually a black. He curled into a tight ball and fell asleep in the middle of the cave once again.

~

            Moonblood bellowed out a yawn and stretched until his muscles felt a bit better. He looked outside to see the first rays of dawn splitting through the purple sky. He sniffed the air and smelled a faint human scent. In an instant he was on his feet and staring out the tunnel entrance at a tiny shadow.

            “Come out and face me head on, you coward!” Moonblood roared as he continued to stare at the shadow which was now in a thinking position.

            “If you can find me,” the tiny human voice began, “I’ll let you die with honor, facing me directly!”

            Moonblood let an evil grin on his face as he leaped out of the cave into the open air and launched the knight a few feet with a talon. Smoke began to billow from the dragon’s nostrils as anger boiled inside of him.