Part One

Anytime you need a friend
I will be here
You'll never be alone again
So don't you fear
Even if you're miles away
I'm by your side
So don't you ever be lonely
Love will make it alright

Millie Rusk had graduated from obsessing over one Mariah Carey song to another. Now her latest love was "Anytime You Need a Friend." It played over the stereo in the Jeep of Walter "Keys" McKeys, as they went on their road trip upstate. They were headed to a place they hadn't been to in ages: Litwak's Arcade. It was a nice break away from the usual online gaming to something a little more old-fashioned.

 It was a nice break away from the usual online gaming to something a little more old-fashioned

Celebrating their new couple status, they played a few rounds of Fix-It Felix, Jr., their favorite arcade game as kids. Millie was about to win until an 8-bit character that wasn't part of the game design appeared on the screen from out of nowhere. Before they knew it, the entire Fix-It Felix, Jr. game crashed and shut down.

"What the hell...?" the baffled Keys muttered.

Litwak had been passing by as the crash occurred and was not at all happy. "Oh, no! Not again!"

"Again?" Millie repeated that last term he used. "This has happened before?"

"Somethin' similar, 'bout a few years back," Litwak told her. "One day, Ralph just randomly disappeared from the game...and then I had to do this." With a desolate sigh, he placed an "out of order" sign on the Fix-It Felix, Jr. arcade machine. "Seems like ol' Felix just can't keep up with the new-age stuff these days."

But, just as Litwak posted the sign to the machine, all the other games in his arcade began to crash and shut down, much to the surprise of Litwak, Millie, and Keys.

"What the...?!" Litwak exclaimed. "What the heck's goin' on?!"

Before each machine crashed, Millie and Keys noticed the same character pop up onscreen. The varying graphics based on each arcade game gave them a clearer glimpse of his description...and he bore an uncanny resemblance to Guy.

and he bore an uncanny resemblance to Guy

----------------------

Panic fell over Game Central Station as Ralph and Felix, along with the characters from all the other arcade games (including Sgt. Calhoun of Hero's Duty), gathered to discuss what just happened to their homes.