First Impressions

A/N: Hello! If you are here, you might already know this story. This is my attempt, after reviewing this story on-end for years, to do it more justice and set it on a better course for success. You will recognize a lot of it if you followed it in the past. However, you will notice changes throughout - some large, some minor, some done because, truthfully, what was 2017-me thinking??? Read on through the changes to 'collect them all,' if you will. I hope this version does service to its original, and that it delights you - ESPECIALLY if you are new! Please tell me what you think. Enjoy! :)

Life simply did not wait for those struggling to catch up. Rylee Pateray knew this well. 

Her week - a hellfire of sorts - had consisted of nearly every obstacle imaginable. Programs that usually made work bearable were faltering, grades were reflecting the exact opposite of the amount of dedication she was putting in, and it was as if life was dead set on giving her a big F-U. The lack of light in her green eyes and the dark, round circles that formed beneath them were going to gain the attention of her family and her peers at this rate. She loathed the thought of it and their suggestions she knew were on their way down the line. She was her own woman, she could fix herself on her own. She just did not have the time to do it under her current circumstances. That was all.

Seeking refuge, Rylee ended up at the nearest pub she could find. It was no oasis of creativity and productivity, especially with the hefty piña colada she ordered at her side, but it offered her a change of scenery where she could get work done. Or, at least attempt to. Would it be her best work? Surely not. She would probably have to spend a few more sober hours scanning the document after its completion to negate any slip ups or jumbled letters. But, the mere idea of residing in her small flat while being bombarded about getting her life together made her feel ill enough to risk it. 

Revising one's paper was easily preferred to revising one's life, after all.

Sipping from her drink, Rylee soon became aware of a group sitting down in the booth in front of her. There were four of them, all guys. Cigarette smoke wafted from their clothes and mixed with the very distinct and poignant scent of vodka. The scent should have been enough to make her move. It normally would have been, had this been any other night. However, this was not any other night, and these boys, despite their smell, were serving as just the perfect display of oddity Rylee needed to get by and forget things for a while.

She continued writing, but refused to look away from the group for too long. It was a motley crew, if she had ever seen one. The two facing away from her shared short hair, dark black and sandy brown respectively. They seemed normal from behind, if she was being honest. Very calm and happy to be there, if their laughs and casual words said anything about it. The other two men facing her were another story.

The one directly ahead of her, obstructed ever so by the sandy brown guy, was intriguing to say the least. He reminded Rylee of Brian May a bit, though his shaggy brown hair still had a while to go to reach such great lengths as his. What little she could see of his jawline matched that of Heath Ledger almost spot on.

She might have dared for a closer look if not for the man at his side. He was a curious creature of sorts, with long, side-swept and curled blackish-brown locks that matched his dark brown eyes. He held the most intriguing of gazes, too. Intense and brooding, yet full of curiosity. It was as if he were guarded or almost uncomfortable due to his surroundings, but quite in favor of those around him. It made Rylee stare at him more, despite herself. Screw her paper, she felt compelled to know why they contradicted themselves in such a way. She sat focused on those eyes, analyzing and wondering, to the point that when they stared right back at hers questioningly, she immediately felt in the wrong. An invader of one's private space from so far away.