𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸

IN AUGUST, LOUISE SENT A LETTER. An important letter. She invited Lizzie, her best friend, to visit Downton. She wanted her friend to have a relaxing month after suffering from a horrible experience. Lizzie arrived in the beginning of September, and was set to leave in October.

They were walking Pharaoh, Robert's dog, in the gardens and enjoying the morning. "Mama thinks that Papa is getting ahead of himself. I personally think he is being reasonable, after all, you want to meet the person who is going to inherit everything you have." Louise explained to Lizzie after they sat in a bench.

"Your mother is just concerned, she had the idea that he was going to try to make Mary his heir, but with him inviting your cousin, she thinks he is not going to fight it anymore." She hummed at her friend's response and stayed in silence for a moment.

"You know, I really wish this problem didn't exist in the first place." After seeing Lizzie's confused face, she continued. "If women weren't seen less of than men, we wouldn't of have this problem."

Lizzie laughed at that, not because she didn't share the point of view of her friend, but because she realized something. "If that was the case, you wouldn't of been born because your parents wouldn't of have tried for a son after Sybil." She said, chuckling.

"You're right," Louise said while laughing.

Looking in the distance, she could see the approaching figure of her sister ridding her horse. "Look, Mary has arrived, let's see what she thinks of our new cousins." The two girls quickly left the gardens, with Pharaoh trailing behind.

"Mary!" Louise shouted to catch her sister's attention. "So, what do we think of them? More specially, cousin Matthew." Mary was dismounting her horse and leaving it to their horse keeper. From her body language, she could see she was bothered from her visit, so she looked at Lizzie with a worried glance.

"Well, she looks kind enough." She said with a sigh.

"But? I'm sensing a but." Lizzie said, wanting to know what could possibly could be wrong with the new cousin.

"He is absolutely full of himself." Mary continued while entering the house. Louise and Lizzie trailed after her, wanting to hear all about Mary's gossip. "He actually thought that we all were going to try to seduce because we heard he is a bachelor. The nerve of him."

An exasperated Mary concluded. "Well, let's hope he presents some redeeming qualities." Louise said in a hopeful tone, trying to lessen her sister's anger.

-----

Her mother extended an invitation for dinner to her new cousin and mother. She knew that with her grandmother present, it was going to be a night to remember.

She was touching up her hair when an exited Lizzie started talking. "Oh, how I want to see the look on your granny's face when they arrive." Lizzie said, bouncing like a child.

"You do like the misery of other's." Louise turned from her vanity to look at her friend.

"Can you blame me?. At home, it has been gloomy and boring since the sink." Louise threw one of her hairpieces to Lizzie.

"Well, I'm so very glad that my family's drama works as your entertainment." At that, Lizzie just laughed. "Alright, come on, let's go downstairs."

Louise descended the stairs with Lizzie, and she saw her family standing in a line like they always do to great their guests. She placed herself after Sybil, with Lizzie next to her. While they were waiting for Matthew and Isobel Crawley to arrive, she could sense the anticipation and dread from the room.