~ Chapter Two ~

N A N D I N I

N A N D I N I

The moment you come out of Mumbai airport is where you realise how silent New York actually is. No matter the population, the crowd, the kind of craziness that you see here cannot be found anywhere else than India.

It is this craziness that makes you feel at home and at peace. Before landing here, I'd say I didn't miss this but as soon as the chaos kicks in, your inner self screams this is what you were craving.

The taxi ride from the airport to the hotel I'm staying in was all about the nostalgic wave hitting me. Sometime the trigger was the marina driver the other was a random street food stall.

Also, add it to a conversation with mum where she tried her best to make me agree on coming and visiting her in Shimla. If only she knew about the surprise I'm planning.

The hospitality at the Leela was incredible which reminds me of why we Indians come under the most hospitable kinds. We were also given a little extra stuff because our college had made the arrangements.

With smiles and courtesy the receptionist handed me the keys to my room along with a brochure of the three day schedule. On my way to the elevator, I met a few familiar faces some batchmates some teachers but none from the gang that I wanted to avoid. And I was thankful for that.

But it turned out I conveyed my thanks to God a little early. The elevator doors opened and I found the first face that I didn't want to see.

"Vrishank?", I smiled at seeing the shock written all over his face. He didn't expect me to be here and that's clear. My sub concious irked that maybe he even didn't expect. "Nandi?"

Vrishank took a good look at me, from top to bottom, before striking out of his trance and helping me wheel in my luggage. "How...you...I mean...I", I tried hard to not laugh at his nervous self but I couldn't resist.

"Vrish how come you become all fumbling and nervous off the ramp and then go and waltz your way confidently on runways?", as he slowly comprehends my words, Vrishank relaxes and so does his tensed facial muscles.

"You know... that I am...a model?", he asks and I blink. "When you live in New York it's impossible to miss that huge poster of yours on Times Square", I was honestly surprised when I saw that humongous poster bearing that familiar smile. But deep down I was happy for him.

We may not have said the ideal goodbyes but our relationship was never bitter. I was his Nandi and he was my Vrish. And I would like to believe it is still the same.

"So you're in New York?", he asks this time, "Yes. Been there since six years", Vrishank nods in approval with an impressed grin. "You became the lawyer Murthy, right?", he nudges my arms and I let out a giggle. "Yes".

We made harmless small talks all through the way whilst I tried to hold back the question I was dying to ask and he continued to act oblivious in spite of knowing it too well.