One for One: An Even Exchange

Start from the beginning

"Okay. Going on foot then. Sounds great!" he said quickly. No need to take that risk, as far as he was concerned.

No one else was willing to take up the task either, so they would make do without. They had thus far without too much issue. As they approached Szhkia, there were still a number of people roaming about. The sky was painted purple, the clouds created by brilliant oranges and pinks, but the colors were already quickly fading as the group walked into the main square. They drew a few eyes, but for the most part, the others around were minding their own business. Lest the Rubeholders involved themselves directly, with any luck, it would remain that way too. Any shadier dealings sought to avoid attention so that they could be swept under the rug; they weren't going to invite prying from outsiders.

"The lodging is on the other end of town. It's pretty much a straight wall from here. You'll have. O problem finding it."

Erzia's instructions had Cal's brow jutting up in question. She made it sound like she wasn't coming along with them. "Where are you going?"

She tilted her head to the side, tutting softly. "Well, I was going to go to the tavern. It's been a day, so I thought I could use a drink."

"Do you think that's really a good idea here?" Soleil asked, fumbling with her fingers as she frowned.

"Technically, no." Erzia chuckled, her dark eyes gleaming. She didn't smile much, but the small sliver resting on her lips was reflected in her gaze. "But don't worry. I'm familiar with Szhkia. I'll be fine." She plucked a small bag of gold from her bag and bounced it in her palm. "On me, if anyone wants to tag along?"

Phoena was the first to decline, but it was evident that wasn't for her own sake. Her gaze shifted to Sachi bumbling along next to Callan. He looked exhausted, and if it wasn't for his clinging to Cal propelling him forward, the kid probably could've curled up then and there in the street. "Some of us are in need of rest more," she said, volunteering herself to head to the inn. "I'll take the others and get a few rooms for the night."

Brady wasn't interested in drinking. Even thinking of the smell of vodka had him shuddering. "I'll pass on drinks, thanks." Soleil didn't drink herself, so she followed suit, which left Callan to debate. He looked down at Sachi, a gentle frown marring his face. He didn't want to leave him...

Phoena dropped a hand lightly against his arm and caught his gaze. "If you want, go." And then under her breath, "Don't worry. We'll keep an eye on him." After the immense pain and trauma of his memories flooding back to him, he deserved to let loose if that would make him feel any better. It wasn't hard to tell he was tempted either, so Phoe would insist again: "Go."

While Callan appreciated it, what he really needed was assurance from someone else. He patted Sachi's head, ruffling his brother's as he spoke soothingly. "Is it okay if I go?" He wasn't leaving him again without express permission.

Sachi glanced up with sleepy eyes and smiled. "Yeah, I'll be fine," he murmured, "I won't be alone."

That comforted that shapeshifter, who passed his little brother off towards Phoe and dipped his head in thanks at the blonde. Assured that Sachi was in good hands, he joined Erzia. "We won't be long," he told the others headed to the inn.

Phoena nodded, glancing from one to the other. Erzia first, then Callan, where her eyes lingered a bit longer. She wrapped an arm around Sachi, waving goodbye to the pair, for now. "Be safe."

Erzia wasn't one to linger in the square for long, waving Callan along as he watched the others disappear from view. "Could use something to dull vicious mental onslaught, hmm?"

The shapeshifter had yet to have it dawn on him that Erzia knew too. Like Brady, she was also a telepath, and while not as openly intrusive as the other, he doubted that she hadn't made herself privy to the situation at hand. Callan nodded slowly. "Do the others know?" he asked.

"As far as I can tell?" She bobbed her shoulders and tipped her head in uncertainty. "I don't think so. Phoena's more invested than the rest, but she's not going to push you."

Cal's cheeks flared red at that, and he glanced at his feet. "Oh."

"How are you feeling anyway?"

A welcome reprieve from the flustering thoughts of just how much a certain blonde Runeholder really did care, not that it wasn't still a debate at the back of Cal's mind. As far as Erzia's question, the shifter wrung his fingers together and heaved a sigh. "It's a lot still," he admitted. "It's always going to be a lot." That time was something he could never get back. "But I'm trying to look at the bright side."

"That's just how some things are," she agreed, regarding him more thoughtfully than he'd expected. "Might be easier to find that light staring at the bottom of a bottle." She offered a half shrug before looking forward again, muttering softly to herself. "Forget the trouble, just for a bit."

It made Callan wonder... who really needed this more: him or her? And what was it that Erzia wasn't to drown with a drink— or maybe a half dozen, he didn't really know her limits? Perhaps he'd find out if the liquor managed to loosen her tongue a bit. She was rather tight-lipped, especially when it came to herself, as it was, but if she ever were to let something slip, this seemed as opportune a time as any.

As they approached the tavern, Cal sped up his pace a bit to catch the door as a particularly drunken couple stumbled on out— and almost into him— but he narrowly managed to avoid them and tug the door back. Once his gaze landed on Erzia again, she was smirking slightly, not at the fumbling pair, but rather at him instead.

"So you're that type, are you?" she mused, giving his shoulder a small pat as she headed inside, "doesn't surprise me much."

That type? he thought.

"The chivalrous sort," she answered, despite it being nothing he voiced aloud. "Though, you are trying to get me to drop my defenses, so perhaps not as much as I thought." She smirked, prolonged eye contact seeming to dare him to try. Callan blinked back at her, but a determination set over him. He was going to get something from her— didn't matter what, small as it might be... something. But after a moment longer and a cleared throat from another patron looking to leave, the two opted to consider that challenge inside, where they weren't blocking the door.

Erzia took up a stool at the corner of the bar, gesturing to the one at her side for Cal. Once they'd both settled, the barkeep was quick to approach. "What will it be?" the man asked simply, straight to the point.

"Two pints of ale—" the telepath paused, glancing at Callan, who nodded. "—and a shot of absinthe." She placed an appropriate amount of gold on the counter, the tender taking it before he headed off to fetch drinks. She rested an elbow on the counter, her head tilted as she pressed her cheek into her palm. "I'll give you a head start. As a thank you for keeping me from drinking alone," she said.

"Do you often?"

"Occasionally." She shrugged. "I don't mind being on my own— used to it, really. Still, company can be nice in the right circumstances."

Almost prompted Callan to ask what it was in the wrong circumstances, but by then, the barkeep had returned with their drinks, and the shifter thought better of it. Erzia grabbed the shot first, raising it up in a cheers before throwing it back. Besides the slight crinkle of her nose, she hardly reacted to the alcohol at all before taking a mug in hand. The other she slid expectantly towards Callan.

After a small sip, she set it back down, wiping a bit of foam from her lips. "How about this?" she suggested, "You answer my questions, and I'll answer yours. One for one exchange. A fair game." Meaning she wouldn't use her telepathy to snoop, not that Callan would actually know if she did or not, so he'd just have to trust her... but did he trust Erzia? He supposed he was about to find out.

"Deal," Callan said, and then in proper gentlemanly fashion, "You start."