VIII. Potter Stinks

En başından başla

"What are you looking at?" I ask Ron, as I join him by the window. He quickly looks away as I approach him. "Nothing," he lies, as he leans against the ledge. I look out the window and see Harry accompanied by a group of students. I turn to Ron, studying him. "Why do you lie to me, Ronald? I can read your thoughts," I remind him. He looks down at the floor, refusing to make eye contact with me. I sigh, leaning against the ledge. Finn climbs off my shoulder and onto Ron's. Ron gives him a soft smile. A silence lingers. "I get why you're jealous," I finally say. Ron shifts uncomfortably. "I-I didn't say I was jealous," Ron states. "You didn't have to," I tell him. "Ron, I get it. He's really famous and gets all the attention. He's the chosen one after all. And I know you feel like you're lower than him, and it's frustrating to you.. but you need to know that he didn't ask for any of that.. It's not his fault."

Ron doesn't say anything. "Ron, he's always put in these situations in which he has no control over. Literally every year, he's had some dangerous experience. This year, he is going into some crazy competition that he's highly unqualified for both in skillset and knowledge... Ron, you can be jealous. You can be mad at him all you want. But I want you to know that whoever put Harry's name into the Goblet of Fire didn't do it hoping that Harry would win, they did it to hurt him." Ron swallows nervously. "You really think someone put Harry's name into the Goblet to hurt him?" "I'm not the only one who thinks that," I tell him. Ron nods, taking in the information. I study Ron's nervous expression. "You care about him," I state, relieved. "Well of course I care, he's my best friend," Ron replies. "Then, put aside your ego, Ron. Put aside your pride. Your friendship is much more valuable."

~•~

      Professor Flitwick begins to lecture the class. I watch as Ron and Harry sit next to each other without saying a word. It's been two days since my conversation with Ron, but he hasn't made a move yet.. They both want too, but neither one of them want to make the first move. I shake my head. "Alright then, time to pair you off for the project," Professor Flitwick says. Harry and Ron turn around to me at the same time. "Want to work together?" "Would you like to be my partner?" They say in unison. I stare at them, unsure what to say. "Actually, I wanted to put you with your partner! You're always choosing to work with your friends, so I thought we should change that!" Professor Flitwick announces. The class murmurs in confusion.

"Alright, let's see.. Ay Neville!" Professor Flitwick calls. He nods nervously. "You will work with Tracey Davis." Neville looks over at the Slytherin student and swallows nervously. He's pairing Gryffindors with Slytherins. "Hermione, you'll work with Pansy," Professor Flitwick says. Hermione whimpers next to me. Pansy, however, smiles happily. She wants Hermione to do all the work. I lean in closer to Hermione. "If she bothers you, let me know. I'll hex her." Hermione gives me a soft smile. Professor Flitwick continues to pair students off. "Ellie," Professor Flitwick says. "You will work with Draco." Oh, would you look at that. I turn around to find Draco. He smirks at me. "You will have a month to get your reports into me. Let me know if you have any issues with the material or with your partners. That will be all!"

The class gets up to leave. "Hey, partner," Draco calls, pulling my schoolbag. "Of all people, I would get paired with you," I say teasingly. "I'm just glad I'm not paired with Harry," Draco says. I roll my eyes. "So," Draco says, pulling my bag closer to him. "When should we start our research?" I pull myself away from him, slapping him lightly on the arm. "Don't you take advantage of this. We're staying professional. This is strictly business," I tell him. Draco laughs rubbing his arm. "Strictly business," he repeats, laughing. I shake my head as I catch a glimpse of students watching us. "They're watching," I whisper to him. Draco looks around. "Right, I should get going then. Let me know when you want to start on the project though," he says, taking a step back. I nod, waving bye to him.