A little too late...?

Akari's POV

I gasped as I heard – and a bit later also saw – someone rushing down the stairs. Of course, it was Yuta. Darn it. Would it be too suspicious if I helped him? I saw the yet still unrecognized guy reacting. Was it too obvious if I helped him? No time to ponder about it. I sprinted over to him and tackled him. "Don't!", I screamed. He looked at me in shock and I looked back just the same. What did you just do, Akari? "What the heck?", he asked before pushing me aside and running over to Yuta. Gosh darn it. Yuto was by my side right the next second. "Why did you push Yongguk?", he asked me puzzled. Yongguk? Enlightenment struck me. "The Yongguk? Who was in the military together with our brother?", I asked. Yuto nodded. "So? Do I get an answer?", he reminded me while pulling me up. I shrugged my shoulders and turned only to suck in a sharp breath as I saw Yuta surrounded by Yongguk and his men, one holding him in check. I grit my teeth.

----------------------------------------

Yuta's POV

I couldn't help but surrender. "Where are your men? Where's the money?", one of them repeated the question for the nth time. "Gone", I said again. "If you cooperate, your sentence will be reduced, you know?", another one said. I rolled my eyes. As if I wouldn't know. "They left before me", I said casually, hoping they would let it count as cooperation. "Where to?", the first one asked again. He seemed like their leader. I shrugged my shoulders. "If you don't cooperate, I will have to-", he started again but got interrupted by a loud shout. Everyone turned to find the source of the sound to see a pretty angry Akari. I furrowed my brows. "Hey, you!", she protested again and pointed at me. I was still puzzled. I was convinced she had a plan. She always had one. "You kidnapped me, shouldn't you apologize?" Baffled, I stared at her. Excuse me? She approached me and glared at me. The next second she stood in front of me, ignoring the several warnings coming from the others. "So?", she asked. "S-Sorry?", I said confused. Suddenly her glare changed to a soft look – only for a second and only for me to see. But I knew what she was up to. She just non-verbally promised me to do anything she could do to help me. "Good boy", she hissed and turned back to the others again: "And you all – let's get this over with. I wanna go home and take a long, comforting shower and then just go back to Hui." She set off while everyone watched her puzzled. Annoyed, she turned around and glared at them: "You're coming or what?" I let go off a small breath. The theatre she was playing here must have bought my men not only time - her demanding to leave was almost a guarantee for them to be able to escape.

----------------------------------

Akari's POV

I saw Yuta looking at me. If I wouldn't have known him that well, I wouldn't have noticed how he realized what I tried to do. His facial features changed a bit, showing his usually unreadable expression. But I could feel the wordless thank you. Hiding my smile, I turned back and left the place, satisfied to hear the others follow me. "This way", Yuto instructed me and I nodded gracefully. "Still not interested in telling me about tackling Yongguk?", he asked again. By now, I had come up with an at least somewhat satisfying explanation. "I just thought it was one of his men he was trying to attack", I shrugged. Yuto raised an eyebrow. I knew he would tell that reasoning to the rest even though he didn't believe it himself. Could I maybe make it more reasonable? "The adrenaline and all, you know?", I continued but my brother scoffed. "You're literally the calmest person I ever met when being in dangerous situations", he complained. "Out of exercise", I tried to pretend. He wanted to protest again. However, right that moment nothing else mattered anymore as I caught the sight of a certain someone standing in front of a car. "Hui", I whispered, a strange feeling taking over me.

---------------------------------

Hui's POV

I saw Yuto walking around the corner. And right next to him – My eyes widened. Akari looked up and met my eyes. I saw her whispering my name and the next second she started running towards me, nearly knocking me over as she jumped in my arms. Amazed, I pulled her close and suddenly realized her sobbing. "It's all good now", I calmed her and stroke her head, trying to suppress my tears as well.

-------------------------------

Yuta's POV

I smiled softly as I saw the two of them standing there, holding each other tight. I felt sorry for what I have done to Hui despite him seemingly being a genuine being. It had been a fast and thoughtless decision. "Move", one of the guys taking care of me said and harshly pushed me. I glared at him. I haven't even realized how I had stopped in my tracks. They shoved me in one of the cars and all the time, Akari hasn't looked at me even once. I just hoped she didn't forget about me. I still needed her help, didn't I? But I got it. Yesterday, while asking her about Hui, I also felt her strong urge to see him again or at least let him know that she was fine. Yet, she wouldn't have thought about asking me to find a way to tell him, knowing very well how dangerous it was. Despite her own suffering, she was still thinking of me. Maybe I deserved to be caught for making my actual friend go through it. Maybe she was better off not thinking about me.

---------------------------------

Akari's POV

I only thought about the circumstances after Yuto softly tapped me on the shoulder. "We should leave", he whispered and I let go off Hui. Nodding, I wiped my tears. Then my gaze caught Yuta in one of the cars. Darn it, I almost forgot about him. He looked strangely sad. I tilted my head and an idea struck my head. "Could I go with Hui, Youngjae and you? I want you two near me and I have a lot of questions for Youngjae", I asked innocently. "Sure, I guess", Yuto nodded. After telling my wish to Yongguk, everything was arranged that way and I let go off a breath. First step done.

As soon as Youngjae started driving, I turned to Hui and said: "Don't be shocked by what I am about to say, but I need you all to listen to me closely." Yuto turned around from the passenger's seat with a raised eyebrow. I looked at him and confessed: "I'll have to tell everything." He looked at me surprised and then glanced over to Youngjae. I knew what he was trying to tell me: He's in the police. We shouldn't reveal our true family background. "Trust me", I mouthed to him and then focused on Youngjae. "And I need you, Youngjae, to let me end my talk before judging. And most importantly: Everything said in here has to stay in here." Yuto's eyes widened as he realized that I WAS about to tell everything but at least he shut up. And I started to explain. From our family's business to how I meet Yuta and what was going on between us – much to Hui's dislike, but I didn't let him interrupt me – to what happened after the bank robbery and finally us planning his escape together.

"Everyone in here owes Yuta", I concluded, earing confused looks. "Yuto and I", I started to explain, "because we are part of the family ruining his family. Yet, I know we both don't approve of it and therefore I want to make sure they can't take down our former neighbours. It's against our usual morals even though I know that most people think we wouldn't have one. Nonetheless, our family always had the motto of living in peace with other mafia bosses for as long as they would live in peace with us. For our family's moral – We have to help Yuta." "It started going down after you left though", Yuto murmured. I looked at him puzzled. "You and I were the only one who honoured the tradition learned from our father. Now our motto seems to be 'The more, the better'." I raised an eyebrow. "What I am trying to say is", my brother continued, "I am in." I sent him a small thank you-smile and turned to Youngjae: "You owe Yuta because he was willing to let you live even though he knew about your identity." "I could lose my job", he protested, but I shook my head: "Nobody will know." "How can you be so sure?" "I am good at what I am doing. We will keep you out of this somehow. And you are a pretty good actor, I reckon?" Youngjae sighed and after a bit more of discussing, he finally gave in. Lastly, I looked at Hui who was sulking on the seat next to me. "No", he said before I could say anything. I rolled my eyes. "Yet, he still treated me right. He didn't harm me at all, he even tried to make it as comfortable as possible for me. And: he didn't even try to flirt with me at all." Hui glanced at me. I decided to not tell him about the first encounter with Yuta in his base. "Okay", I sighed, "Would you at least do it for me then?" Hui pouted even more. "She's right though, Yuta was unusually nice to her. You kind of do owe him" Youngjae agreed, earning a surprised and annoyed look from my boyfriend. "Hui?", my brother intervened as well now and Hui turned to him, "You owe at least me. Without me, we wouldn't have gotten Akari out so easily. I swear, she didn't even think of cheating on you. I know her. She's my sister after all. And Yuta is one of the good guys even if it doesn't look like it. I know him since I can think too and he always tried to do his best. Help us and I'll forget about what you owe me and happily accept you into the family." "The only family I have left", I muttered a small bait. "Ah, seriously", Hui complained. And a few seconds later: "Whatever. I'll help. Under protest though." I squealed out of happiness and kissed his cheek before sincerely saying: "Thank you, darling."