Friends

Akari's POV

So my family expanded, huh? I sighed. That's not what I had hoped. But why even care? I left them and they leave me alone. I mean, except for my dear little brother who secretly stayed in touch with me. I always felt his desire to do something else than working for our business. Yet, he didn't have the courage. Until a few weeks ago. He told me he had plans to follow my path. Our brother at home would take over the lead and there was no need for him anymore, if one was being honest. And he always wanted to pursue another dream. I just hoped he would notice something was off as I wouldn't answer anymore. I would never had thought, I'd end up with Yuta again. Funny enough, I was even his hostage. I turned around as I heard the door open. A boy, probably slightly younger than me peeked inside and shoved a tablet in. I smirked as I saw my dinner. "Tell your boss thanks from me", I said to him as he left. I wasn't sure if he would. However, that was not my problem. I trotted over and sat down on the floor, starting to eat.

----------------------------------------------------------

Yuta's POV

"Did she like her dinner?", I asked Youngjae as he brought me crab meat fried rice. He nodded: "She told me to thank you." I smiled. No matter how long we haven't seen each other, she would never change. I realized it after our first discussion in the bank. "Youngjae?", I held him back as he wanted to go. "Yes, sir?", he asked. "Take a day off tomorrow. You need to rest for our next steps", I murmured while continuing to study my plans. "I will, sir. Thank you, sir", he said. I motioned him to leave and sighed as he closed the door. My family had put their trust in me to make all this work. Akari stirred everything up. She meant extra trouble. Yet, she was my back-up plan. I had to make this work. I ruffled my hair. It was useless. I couldn't think straight anymore. I stretched myself and yawned. Time to go home. But first, I wanted to talk to her again.

--------------------------------------------------

Akari's POV

I almost was asleep as the door opened once again. Curious, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "Sorry, did I wake you up?", I heard Yuta's well-known voice. I shook my head: "But you kept me from sleeping." "Should I go again?", he asked. I eyed him. I don't know why, but to my own surprise I answered: "No, it's alright." As he sat down on the floor in front of me, I noticed his hair. It was a mess. I chuckled and bent over to fix it. "What troubles you?", I asked. He always ruffled his hair when being highly concentrated. He sighed. Oh. It seems to be much more serious than I thought. I sat up straight and looked at him. "Listen, even though I hate you right now for doing all this to me, you can still tell me. Eternal friendship, remember?", I said. I've never forgotten about our oath. "It's... complicated", he said. "Life is always complicated", I shrugged, "And let me tell you: It even is complicated if you aren't a mafia boss." He smiled sadly: "You would know." I nodded. "Why'd you even leave?", he asked. I was taken aback. Did he still wonder about that? I took a deep breath: "You never heard of it?" "I guess not. What should I have heard of?", he gave back. I took a deep breath. Should I tell him? "Akari, even if you hate me right now, you can still tell me. Eternal friendship and so on", he said innocently. I laughed. Okay. Story time, I guess.

---Flashback---

I sneaked around a corner. My guts already had told me beforehand, but now I was sure: Something was horribly off. Right here Sura was supposed to stand. Yet, she wasn't here. "Shit", I whispered to myself. I went on as I suddenly heard a scream from somewhere. I jolted upwards. I knew the voice. The scream went into whimpering. It was nearby. Cautiously, I made my way to the noise. As I looked around a corner, I saw Sura lying on the floor, in a pool of blood. Praying it wasn't hers, I checked my surroundings. A guy stood in front of her, a knife in his hand. Not good. Not at all. I gritted my teeth. Suddenly, Sura turned and saw me. She stopped whining. "Tell me already", the guy yelled. "Never", she screamed back, earning a punch from him. It sounded painful. I tightened my grip around my weapon. Sura was my best friend, if not my only real friend. "Where is your team?", he asked again, this time calmer. Dangerously calm. Sura groaned. "I won't tell you", she repeated. I was about to jump out of my hideout as she turned to somewhere else and said: "You might be five against one but I am not like you, Goro. I am not a traitor." I felt dizzy in an instant. First of all: Five? I only saw one. Thanks for the warning, Sura. Second: Goro? My own cousin and Sura's brother? A traitor? "If you want to live another way", my friend continued and now turned to me, "Then do it. Promise me to live your life." She turned back: "But don't kill people who get in your way." "Sorry, Sura", I heard Goro's voice, "But I want to be the new head. You're just in the way." "Don't!" Sura's voice trembled out of fear. "There are other ways, I could-" "Not interested."

---End of Flashback---

I couldn't go on. The pictures in my head where so clear like it would have happened yesterday. I gulped and wiped away a tear. Yuta handed me a tissue. "He shot her?", he asked and I nodded, bursting into tears fully. "No one ever died under my commando", I added. He sighed. Then: "It is okay if I hug you?" I nodded. A second later, I felt his arms around me and leaned against him. I always thought that keeping it to myself was the best. But right now, I could feel how whatever exactly broke in me back then was slowly healing. It would leave a scar and I wouldn't be the person I was before. But over time I would realize that talking about was important for it starting to heal.

------------------------------------------------

Yuta's POV

I held her until she calmed down a bit and meanwhile thought about our talk beforehand. I hated to admit it, but I came to realize that it had just been like the old times. Meaning that I still liked her. My strong dislike after the break-up started to crumble to pieces more and more. Yes, I had been heartbroken. But this was so long ago and we somehow still managed to treat each other like in the old times... Slowly, she started to speak again which interrupted my thoughts: "I swear, she wanted me to promise her to live my life. We talked about it beforehand. I told her that I wasn't sure if this was what I really wanted. Being on a run all the time, killing and blackmailing people. And after seeing how brutal people can be just because the want to have power, I got paranoid my brothers could possibly do the same. It was my first time seeing somebody die. I guess I only then realized what being in the mafia meant. I realized that I couldn't do that job anymore. And that I definitely didn't want to anymore. I did tell on Goro though. Don't know what happened to him." I shrugged my shoulders. "Me neither", I said. "I also don't care", she declared. I looked at her. She never sounded so hateful. Oh gosh, does she hate me with the same passion? "Don't worry, idiot", she sniffed while looking at me, "I hate you. But I don't hate you like that." "You still can read my mind", I sighed. "Yes", she replied, "We're friends after all." I nodded. "Friends", I repeated.